View Full Version : AIM and WM5 - Constantly stay connected?

yanathin
11-27-2005, 07:35 PM
These are the last things I need to know before I drop down $700...

1) If I am connected to the GPRS/EDGE network and I either receive a call or make a call, will my internet automatically reconnect once my phone call is finished? Is there an AIM program out there that will keep me SIGNED ON to AIM (whether I can receive messages or not) during a phone call? The reason for this is that when I had the JAM, if I was chatting to somebody on AIM and somebody called me, AIM would not only automatically disconnect, but I would lose the conversation dialogue that I was having before the call.

2) If I am connected to the GPRS/EDGE network and I connect my device to my computer, does ActiveSync still disconnect me from GPRS and automatically use my computer's internet? Again, when this happens, AIM disconnects.

Is there an AIM program out there that fixes these problems? I'd really appreciate anybody's input. Thank you!!

XDA_User
11-30-2005, 03:41 PM
1. Usually if your call is short, the network maintains the original connection. However, if it is long, then you might have to reconnect, but with AIM (2.0), you appear to be logged on, but miss incoming IM's.....I had this happen last night....

2. AIM usually disconnects when you log on to another computer, but I don't think that ActiveSync has ever disconnected my unit from GPRS - haven't really been able to tell....

3. Some of the other programs (other than AOL/AIM) that support all IM programs may be better.....similar to Skype's (on the desktop only), where outgoing IM's are saved on their system, and would be delivered to the recipient upon their logging back on....

Hope this helped, and others' input is also appreciated!

orion2087
12-05-2005, 04:10 PM
Something to keep in mind as well is that aol's old aim ppc client is not compatible with WM5. The soft keys cover up the menu bar, not letting you do anything. There are ways to get around that and get to the sign on screen, but on my axim once i'm there it wont connect.

Only other programs that I believe you can use are Agile Messenger and IM+

yanathin
12-05-2005, 04:37 PM
Argh, well, Agile Messenger gets screwed up in landscape mode, and IM+ literally freaks out when I make or receive a call, giving me all these warning messages. I just wish there was an AIM program for the Pocket PC that worked just like how the SideKick's AIM does. On the SideKick, it ALWAYS stayed connected. If I made or received a call, it didn't sign me off AIM - it just held my messages until I got off the phone. Why can't somebody make a program for the Pocket PC that does this?

aNiMeMaN14
01-06-2006, 08:44 AM
AIM 2.0 doesn't work on WM5... GOOD to know

my Jam just seems to get more and more appealing the more I find out about the flaws of WM5.

XDA_User
01-06-2006, 08:48 AM
I couldn't even handle the version (2003SE) that was on my XDAIIs, and am now back using my XDAII!

Everything works fine with this one!

galt
01-12-2006, 11:59 PM
I just wish there was an AIM program for the Pocket PC that worked just like how the SideKick's AIM does. On the SideKick, it ALWAYS stayed connected. If I made or received a call, it didn't sign me off AIM - it just held my messages until I got off the phone. Why can't somebody make a program for the Pocket PC that does this?I agree 100%, compared to the Sidekick's AIM every IM program on PPC's falls short in many way. The advantage the SK has is in regards to handling connections during calls and such is that the Danger server maintains a connection to the AIM server for you so you never missed anything even if you were on the phone or out of network coverage. Once our device reconnects it sends you all you queued up messages. There's no reason that couldn't be done on Windows Mobile...