View Full Version : Anyone knows a utility to turn off device and lock keys?

jlp
11-26-2005, 06:49 AM
Anyone knows a utility to turn off device and lock keys?

I have an Axim x5 which doesn't have such feature in ROM.

The closest app I found is ScreenLock for Pocket PC, BUT it does NOT turn the device off just the screen; they explicitly say that. AND the PPC does NOT turn off after the preset time as it's specifically made to keep the device in an on state "It'll keep your PPC alive even without any program running"

I've noticed my ageing x5 suddenly beeps telling me the battery is almost dead even if I've used it only for a few minutes; because it turned on when I closed the case or another obscure reason. And I have a utility that tells me how long it's been on and I know when I only used it for a little time, but it turned on by itself/while closing the case and stayed on for 1-2+ hours. And because its battery is 2.5 years old now it doesn't keep a charge too long in the first place.

So one of these days I'll loose everything. I daily backup PIM data (1-3 times a day), but only backup entirely once in a while as I have little memory left on my card.

Anyway I'd feel more relaxed knowing my device won't turn on while closing the case or while it's in my pocket.

Thanks in advance.

Jelp

Menneisyys
11-26-2005, 07:36 AM
Anyone knows a utility to turn off device and lock keys?

I have an Axim x5 which doesn't have such feature in ROM.

The closest app I found is ScreenLock for Pocket PC, BUT it does NOT turn the device off just the screen; they explicitly say that. AND the PPC does NOT turn off after the preset time as it's specifically made to keep the device in an on state "It'll keep your PPC alive even without any program running"

I've noticed my ageing x5 suddenly beeps telling me the battery is almost dead even if I've used it only for a few minutes; because it turned on when I closed the case or another obscure reason. And I have a utility that tells me how long it's been on and I know when I only used it for a little time, but it turned on by itself/while closing the case and stayed on for 1-2+ hours. And because its battery is 2.5 years old now it doesn't keep a charge too long in the first place.

So one of these days I'll loose everything. I daily backup PIM data (1-3 times a day), but only backup entirely once in a while as I have little memory left on my card.

Anyway I'd feel more relaxed knowing my device won't turn on while closing the case or while it's in my pocket.

Thanks in advance.

Jelp

Unfortunately, all keylock solutions are software-only. Therefore, the best solution is getting a case that doesn't let buttons be pressed.

Also see http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=38330 on the same subject.

Oreocat
11-26-2005, 01:15 PM
Hi JLP,

I have two possible solutions for you :) While browsing FreewarePPC a few weeks ago, I ran across a program called "BattSleep v2.0" that supposedly shuts down your ppc once it reaches a certain battery level you set. I've been using it since I found it, but I don't know if it does work yet (thank goodness!). Here's their description:

Have you ever forgot your media player running and completely drain your battery? PDA won't automatically power-off for some reason. How many times have you lost your data because of loss of battery power?

This is a power management component, with a very small footprint, that resembles laptop power management utilities which put the system into standby when the battery reaches a preset critical level.

Once the present threshhold is reached then an alert is initiated and a preset countdown is started. At the end the system will turnoff, unless the PDA is connected to the power. If power is supplied then the shutdown is aborted and the checks are reset.

This utility is far from user friendly, but it's small, it does what it says and it uses virtually no resources.

The author is right, the icon isn't pretty and if you soft reset your ppc, BattSleep doesn't restart itself on it's own, but, well, it's free and may work for you ;)

Possible solution number two is a very hard case that's pretty nice looking called a "SmarterCase". It's made of steel, wrapped in leather (they have several materials, and you chose what you want) and runs about $25 with shipping & handling (or it did three years ago).

I bought one when I first got a ppc, and the main problem I saw with them is that there isn't (or wasn't anyway, that may have changed) a way to hold your ppc steady inside of one, no straps, velcro or formfitting mold, the ppc just lays inside the case, and can move around freely.

However, nothing from outside the case will be able to poke through the steel and hit any buttons to start your ppc, and if you add a strap or velco (if they haven't already done something like that), there shouldn't be anything inside for your ppc to hit that will start it, either.

Here's the direct links to both:

http://www.freewareppc.com/utilities/battsleep.shtml and
http://www.smartercase.com/

Hope these help :)

Oreocat

rawb
12-09-2005, 04:09 AM
This is probably the most functional piece of software I've used so far! Don't know why WM5.0 doesn't include a feature like that. U can set 1 or more buttons to lock and unlock your device. While locked it can be off or just turn off the screen/lock keys so you can keep playing music.

http://www.sto-helit.de/modules/edito/content.php?id=36

Just remember to set the unlock button before you try to lock it or you'll need to reset your ppc. =P Reviews of this and Mort's other softwares are great too. I'm also quite happy with their other freewares; Mortplayer and Mortbuttons.