View Full Version : HELP! Samsung i730 or Audiovox XV6600?

dugn
11-22-2005, 03:08 AM
I've stayed out of the fast-paced world of new Pocket PCs and new Windows Mobile OS versions for the last 2+ years since I've still got my trusty Jornada 568. So I'm very out-of-touch with the latest offerings, OS versions, flaws and hiccups with the various newer products and offerings and need your help!

I'm looking to get onto a Verizon plan at a good corporate rate and I'm trying to decide which phone is better - and what additional pro's and con's I need to worry about when deciding between the i730 and the XV6600.

Price aside, I don't know the difference between Windows Mobile 2003 (on the XV6600) and the Second Edition that supposedly comes installed on the i730 - and which is better. I don't know how the screens, the (Windows OS) upgrade process, the optional accessories and such compare with each other, so I was hoping those of you who have kept up-to-speed on the latest offerings can help me know if the i730 is the better choice.

If it helps, I plan to use this phone to replace my trusty Jornada so I can start using online features to view traffic cams and access online information (news, movie times/locations, etc.) and double as a data modem connected to my laptop when traveling along the west coast (I don't need international coverage). I don't need camera MP3 player functionality.

Can you help guide/warn/instruct this used-to-be wise Pocket PC guru whose knowledge is now outdated for these newer offerings?

cec
11-22-2005, 03:48 AM
I have an i730 and highly recommend the device. I think it is a better convergence device than the XV6600 which is a bit large for an everyday phone in my opinion. I think a better comparison would be with the soon to be released XV6700 (aka HTC Apache, PPC6700 on Sprint). The XV6700 will have WM 5.0 pre-loaded.

Be aware that Verizon does disable some features on their devices (this will be true for both the i730, 6600 and 6700). Namely the ability to tether your phone using BT to a laptop PC, and the ability to use Wifi and the phone simulatneously. The kind folks over at pdaphonehome.com have developed some work arounds for the i730 on these limitations. The i730 comes with WM 2003 SE but is suppose to get an WM5 upgrade in Q1 2006 (so in theory you can choose the OS you like best). In my view the biggest hardware differences between the i730 and the 6700, with the exception of the 6700's camera, are the vertical vs horizontal keyboard and SD vs mini-SD card slots.

Quite honestly it is a very close race and I most likely would be satisfied with either the i730 or the XV6700.

Don't Panic!
11-22-2005, 04:01 AM
There's a hack for bluetooth > PC tethering with their PPCPE Phones.

I too have no experience with the 6600 but the internet speed with the i730s PIE and Verizons EV-DO network is astounding! Traffic cams will be smooth if the source has enough bandwidth.

MPSmith
11-22-2005, 04:52 AM
I have the i730 and love it. I have a friend who loves his 6600. For me, the 6600 was a little too wide: if I remember correctly, its about the size of an iPaq 3600.

On the up side, the i730 has a better screen, keyboard, speaker and software package. It has wi-fi, is faster, comes with two batteries, is shorter and narrower.

On the down side, the i730 is more expensive, is thicker and is more of a battery hog.

It isn't a fair comparison. The upcoming 6700 is a better comparison.

jpjehu
11-22-2005, 06:47 AM
I think it comes down to whether you need a 'one-handed' device or 'two-handed' device - the 6600 doesn't function as a one-handed device, and the 730 does (and will even more so with wm5).

jpjehu
11-22-2005, 07:41 AM
ps - the 6700 will mirror the 6600 except for the disabled wifi w/ the phone on - so the 730 & the 6600 are to be compared...

dugn
11-24-2005, 08:52 PM
Great! All of your responses have helped significantly. I ordered an i730 and it'll be here Monday. I'll post another question I have concerning this model on a new thread...