View Full Version : Rollback on x51v

Certs
11-21-2005, 08:42 PM
Has anyone tried rolling back to 2003se with a new x51v? I called Dell and their Tech Support hesitantly said, "yes, the rollback program from our Dell website should work with the x51vs". I'm a bit sceptical so I'm asking the real experts here in this forum.

ADBrown
11-21-2005, 09:13 PM
You would probably end up with a very pretty paperweight. I don't know for sure, as I've never tried it, nor tried upgrading my X50v with an X51v ROM. But the reality is that if everything weren't just right, you would end up with a nonfunctional device. You could still try it, and wrangle a warranty replacement out of Dell if it went bad.

Out of curiousity, why do you want to return to 2003 SE?

PetiteFlower
11-21-2005, 09:17 PM
Since the X51 was never programmed to work with 2003SE, there is not going to be a version of that OS for this device. You're stuck with what you bought.

Ed Hansberry
11-22-2005, 12:39 AM
I would agree with everyone else. THe ROM size is different and it is very possible the internal hardware has been tweaked so the drivers in the X50v 2003SE edition might not work.

I would get the name of the person you talked to about it and if it fails, you can at least get it fixed for free because they told you it would work. Worse case scenario you are don't have the device for a week or so.

dazz
11-23-2005, 01:30 PM
You really don't need to roll back! I have upgraded my x50v to WM5 and at first it was slow and painful to use but I tried a few fixes that were mentioned by various people and it is running pretty well as fast as WM2003SE, but with the advantages of WM5.

I posted about how to do this on my site and tons of people have confirmed that it speeds up their WM5 device.

ctitanic (author of Tweaks2k2) has confirmed the best settings and has included it in his newest release.

The reg hacks are on my site here:

http://smartmobileassets.com/cgi-bin/Blah/Blah.pl?b=winmobile,m=1132411511

Enjoy!

PetiteFlower
11-23-2005, 06:48 PM
1. Don't cross post.

2. This has already been posted (as a link to Aximsite with a lot more tweaks) a few weeks ago.

dazz
11-23-2005, 06:57 PM
1. I didn't really intend this to be a cross post, just pointing out why this user doesn't need to swith. Since I didn't start the topic and it is in response the the thread starters topic it is fine.

2. While it may have been posted about a few weeks ago anyone that was interested in the info would have to dig through a lot of messages to find the same information. Apparently I was right in doing so since there have been at least a few hundred viewers of the article since I posted here.

Thanks for policing though. :roll:

Mitch D
12-08-2005, 05:23 AM
You really don't need to roll back! I have upgraded my x50v to WM5 and at first it was slow and painful to use but I tried a few fixes that were mentioned by various people and it is running pretty well as fast as WM2003SE, but with the advantages of WM5.

I posted about how to do this on my site and tons of people have confirmed that it speeds up their WM5 device.

ctitanic (author of Tweaks2k2) has confirmed the best settings and has included it in his newest release.

The reg hacks are on my site here:

http://smartmobileassets.com/cgi-bin/Blah/Blah.pl?b=winmobile,m=1132411511

Enjoy!

Cross post or not, thanks for the info Dazz, it has made a major difference on the proformance on my X50v. I will have to test it for awhile but I might just leave WM5 installed.