View Full Version : Steven Levy Disappointed He Couldn't Find More Than One Zune

Jason Dunn
03-06-2007, 01:31 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070303/COLUMNISTS17/703030381' target='_blank'>http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070303/COLUMNISTS17/703030381</a><br /><br /></div><em>&quot;A few weeks ago, Newsweek technology columnist Steven Levy spoke to a group of Microsoft employees about the iPod and the book he wrote about Apple's music player. During his talk, Levy pulled out his Zune, the new pocket music and video player that Microsoft hopes will give the iPod some competition. One thing a Zune can do that iPods can't is use built-in Wi-Fi to find and swap songs with other nearby Zunes. It's Microsoft's attempt to introduce that MySpace digital community vibe to the world of portable media players. But guess what? Even in an auditorium full of Microsofties, Levy's Zune couldn't find another Zune to talk to. Levy wrote on his blog that when he told the crowd that his Zune was feeling lonely, one person eventually popped up and sent him a song. It made me wonder: If the people who make and sell the Zune aren't buying into the music-player community idea, what's the chance that the rest of us will?&quot;</em><br /><br />While Ric Manning's points later in this article about the things that the Zune does well (big screen) and not so well (song sharing limitations) are all accurate and fair, it's become a popular hobby for the media to bash the wireless sharing feature without actually thinking it through. In the example with Levy, the first key question to ask is why would Microsoft staff members (we don't know how many exactly) bring their Zunes with them to a presentation? I sure don't carry my Zune with me everywhere. And, better yet, why would they have them turned on, unless they were ignoring Levy? What so many people seem to forget is that the Zune needs to be turned on in order to send or receive wirelessly, just like every other electronic device that uses wireless. And let's not forget that we're talking about a device that's been on sale for just coming up on four months now - it's still early-on. There's lots of room for improvement, to be sure, but judging the success or failure of the Zune on a room full of Microsoft employees seems rather silly to me.

Janak Parekh
03-06-2007, 03:44 AM
In the example with Levy, the first key question to ask is why would Microsoft staff members (we don't know how many exactly) bring their Zunes with them to a presentation? I sure don't carry my Zune with me everywhere. By this argument, aren't you proving that wireless isn't worth it? Unless people do carry their Zune everywhere, and leave WiFi on, song sharing is just not going to gain any steam.

--janak

Fidelio
03-06-2007, 03:46 AM
Maybe the guys at the conference were paying attention and had the wi-fi feature of their Zunes off... ;)

Zunerama
03-06-2007, 04:12 AM
I think it was pretty generous of Microsoft to have Levy come on campus and meet with them. His writings are so personally against Microsoft, and against Bill Gates in particular, that I'm pretty impressed Microsoft gave him that audience.

I just finished "The Perfect Thing", about iPod and Steve Jobs, and he is certainly way way over on loving Apple and iPod, and openly dismissive of Microsoft.

So that conclusion from him about his Microsoft meeting is not too surprising to me.

Adam Krebs
03-06-2007, 06:36 AM
plus, the fact that the wifi only has a range of 30 feet limits the "I'll find someone with a Zune randomly" argument. Most of the people I know who have a Zune keep the wireless off, but joyfully turn it on when there's someone else with one. It's great fun to meet someone on the subway who has a Zune and just share whatever the hell you're listening to.

John Obeto
03-06-2007, 06:37 AM
Isn't his arrogance amazing? And how unscientific a sampling was it?

I wonder why he didn't try the same test after (general) business hours, or elsewhere on the Microsoft campus.

Janek, a bit of FUD from a Mac and iPod addict does not make it so in real life.

The wi-fi portion of the device will continue to attract new users based on both the current functionality of the feature and the immense potential benefits it would bring.

Zunerama
03-06-2007, 07:12 AM
I view the WiFi feature as akin to the wireless infrared beaming capability of my old Palm Pilot.

I rarely used it, but when I did get an opportunity to beam a business card to another Palm Pilot user, it was always a little thrill for both of us.

The fact that I didn't use it every day, or even every month, didn't bother me.

Same story with Zune. Wireless is not critical to my everyday experience with Zune. Rather, it's a special capability that I'm really pleased is there, on the infrequent opportunities I get to use it!

Janak Parekh
03-06-2007, 04:14 PM
Janek, a bit of FUD from a Mac and iPod addict does not make it so in real life. :confused: I didn't even comment on Levy's assertions, but rather Jason's point about not carrying Zunes around everywhere. Personally, I don't find WiFi song sharing to be all that appealing -- especially in its crippled form -- as opposed to the potential for online purchases or wireless sync, which I think would have far greater promise but which Microsoft doesn't appear to be implementing (yet).

--janak

Jason Dunn
03-06-2007, 04:14 PM
Unless people do carry their Zune everywhere, and leave WiFi on, song sharing is just not going to gain any steam.

I think there are a lot of mis-conceptions around song sharing, how it works, and why people would use it. I think I'll front-page post this and use your quote as a stepping stone.

mrozema
03-07-2007, 01:01 AM
I enjoy using the WiFi when I have an album I'm really excited about and want my Zune-enabled friend to hear.

I find it to be one of those handy features that doesn't get used a lot, but when you need it, it works like a charm!

Zunerama
03-07-2007, 01:48 AM
I think there are a lot of mis-conceptions around song sharing, how it works, and why people would use it. I think I'll front-page post this and use your quote as a stepping stone.

Great idea. Somewhat related, many of us have taken a "Zune pledge" - to always keep our wireless turned on when we're out in public - even if it costs us a little battery life. Hate to miss an opportunity to share with another Zune

("Zune pledge" link: http://zunerama.com/forum/index.php?topic=2017.0)

tbird
03-08-2007, 08:24 AM
Great idea. Somewhat related, many of us have taken a "Zune pledge" - to always keep our wireless turned on when we're out in public - even if it costs us a little battery life. Hate to miss an opportunity to share with another Zune

("Zune pledge" link: http://zunerama.com/forum/index.php?topic=2017.0)
Good point.
I have actually gotten 2 people at work to buy a Zune.
It took some talking and a hands on show:confused:
And even though they are about 30 years younger than me (and all owned an IPod) we are having a blast, with me sending them "old music" and they trying upset my world with some of the newer stuff.
Has been a lot of fun.

Oh yeah and forgot to add......Like I am going to walk into a meeting at work with my Zune on!:confused: