View Full Version : A Not-so-Rosy Review of the Sprint PPC-6700

Jason Dunn
11-16-2005, 11:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.forbes.com/opinions/free_forbes/2005/1128/072.html' target='_blank'>http://www.forbes.com/opinions/free...5/1128/072.html</a><br /><br /></div><i>"...there's one unfortunate problem with Windows Mobile 5.0 in its current incarnation: faulty plumbing. ActiveSync, the program that synchronizes the device with a PC, has been totally reworked using Internet protocols instead of the proprietary system of yore. But though the old system was no prize, the new one is so bad that Microsoft offers a long, long Web page devoted to things you may need to try on your PC (ready to "un-bind NDIS Intermediate Drivers?") if you want ActiveSync to work. A software fix is due on the Web, but there are plenty of problems it won't resolve."</i><br /><br />This is one of the more painful reviews I've read of a Windows Mobile device in a long while. While some of the article is silly - the device cannot magically password protect itself, it's likely someone else put it on there and didn't tell him - I can't disagree with all of it. ActiveSync 4.0 doesn't seem to be an improvement over 3.x. And in some ways, Windows Mobile 5 has less features than previous versions (WiFi sync anyone?), which is utterly bizarre. I can't get Windows Media Player 10 to see my device, so I can't sync music either. Overall the reviewer focuses too much on ActiveSync and ignores what's good about the device, but the harsh reality is that every part of the equation matters - if you have a fantastic operating system that has an unreliable part, the unreliable part will get all the bad press.

brianchris
11-16-2005, 11:44 PM
It is unfortunate that, in this review, a good device takes the heat for ActiveSync 4.0's woes, but I agree, the average end user won't seperate their experience with the device itself and ActiveSync 4.0.

However, one key point should have been made: ActiveSync 4.0 WILL be fixed at some point (Microsoft HAS to, otherwise Windows Mobile 5 will die on the vine), as opposed to, had the problems been with the device itself, end users would have had to hope, pray, and hold theirt breath that an OEM develop and release a new ROM update (which will all know how frequently that happens). So, while not great news, it could be worse.

This also answers my question as to why ActiveSync 4.0 is still not availible for download......Microsoft must know of its poor performance. New PocketPC operating systems (2002, 2003, 2003 2nd) have required new versions of Active Sync, but this is the first time there's been such a gap between the new OS devices being launched and the new ActiveSync being availible for download. But no worries, as I am now officially in no hurry to download ActiveSync 4.0

Clinton Fitch
11-16-2005, 11:45 PM
I can't get Windows Media Player 10 to see my device, so I can't sync music either.

Since I'm going off topic I thought I'd start a new thread here...

I ran into the exact same problem after I an DRM update on Windows Media Player 10 earlier this week.

The update in question can be explored here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/891122

Two weeks ago I upgraded my x50v to Windows Mobile 5 and was able to do a Media Sync in ActiveSync 4.0 with no problem.

I did DRM upgrade on Monday and the ability to sync went away as it would not recognize the device. Unfortunately, this is one of those updates that can't be uninstalled via Control Panel. It has be "backed out" with System Restore.

After doing some talking to Ed Hansberry (who loves DRM :rock on dude!: ) I did a System Restore and I'm able to do Media Sync again.

Now the problem is that this update came out in October and for whatever reason I never installed it. My suspicion is a lot of people have installed this update and are not going to get the Media sync to work.

Regards,

MitchellO
11-17-2005, 12:08 AM
I personally haven't had these problems. The reviewer should update to Activesyc 4.1 before he critisizes so harshly. I have found AS to be quite fast, much faster than my XDA Mini on AS 3.8.

And WM5 is great!!!

Jason Dunn
11-17-2005, 12:10 AM
The reviewer should update to Activesyc 4.1 before he critisizes so harshly.

And where would he do that? ;-) AS 4.1 isn't released yet, it's just being circulated around as warez.

JonathanWardRogers
11-17-2005, 12:15 AM
I too miss WiFi sync immensely! Especially now that I have Media Sync. It would be nice if my device and my laptop stopped fighting over who gets to handle ratings. Each machine sees ratings set on the other as "Automatic Ratings". :evil: Don't these guys at MS use the software before releasing it?

MitchellO
11-17-2005, 12:32 AM
Ooooh, I didn't realise that it wasn't released yet. Its much better than 4.0 though. They should release it already!!

Scott R
11-17-2005, 03:14 AM
I didn't have any problems with ActiveSync when I had my PPC-6700 for a short time (14 week trial), but I was highly frustrated by numerous other usability, stability, and app compatibility issues as well as just a general "sluggishness" as compared to my WM2003 HP iPaq h4155. My general impression was that WM5 wasn't quite ready for prime-time.

stevelam
11-17-2005, 02:17 PM
Ooooh, I didn't realise that it wasn't released yet. Its much better than 4.0 though. They should release it already!!

Tut tut you'll have the police coming round soon for that little slip of the tongue!! :lol: