View Full Version : Where is the "New" softkey

biglouis
11-16-2005, 09:10 PM
One of the things I liked on my i-mate JAM which was WM2003SE was the "New" menu which appeared at the bottom left of the Today screen.

On my i-mate K-JAM this has been replaced by the Calendar softkey,

When I go into Notes on the K-JAM the "New" softkey appears. Using the new facility in Tweaks2Net I'd like to remap the today Calendar softkey to the New one.

I have no idea how to do this - can anyone help??????

TIA

LouisB

Jason Dunn
11-16-2005, 10:59 PM
When I go into Notes on the K-JAM the "New" softkey appears. Using the new facility in Tweaks2Net I'd like to remap the today Calendar softkey to the New one.

It's definitely not possible with the core OS, and I'm not sure if it's possible with a registry hack either. It's pretty frustrating to me that MS doesn't allow us to decide the functions of the softkeys on the today screen. :?

pivaska
11-16-2005, 11:37 PM
I don't do any programming but when I went to the live chat with MS and asked a couple of soft key questions these were the replies. If you can work the api then you should have it made....

Q: [17] Is there a way to disable the soft keys on the screen. Also is there a way to place the icons back onto the bottom bar that are now claiming the space at the bottom?
A: The SHEnableSoftkey() API should do what you need. I'm not sure what you mean by the icons on the bottom bar.

Q: [43] WM5 now places the wifi, bluetooth etc icons within the screen itself and not on the bottom bar as in SE2003 thus making the today screen loose about 10 or so pixels from the bottom.
A: Ah, yes, I understand now. The reason for this is that the Today screen did not have soft keys on PP2003SE. There is no longer any room to put the icons on the soft key bar. The Today window is scrollable.

jlp
11-17-2005, 01:20 AM
The more I read about WiMp5's idioT-syncrasies the more I HATE IT (THEM) :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: !!!

Sven Johannsen
11-17-2005, 08:09 PM
The more I read about WiMp5's idioT-syncrasies the more I HATE IT (THEM) :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: !!!

Then buy a Palm and move on. I don't like everything MS has done either, but it doesn't do me or anyone else any good to just fume about it. If you have some affection for the platform, explain the deficiencies you see, and the scenarios under which these affect the usability. Maybe they'll listen, maybe not. Maybe they are listening to more than just us here. Just spouting that it sucks and you hate it though has zero potential of changing anything.

Ed Hansberry
11-18-2005, 03:28 AM
uhmmmmmm... you realize this is an operating system, right?

gwinter
11-19-2005, 05:22 PM
I don't do any programming but when I went to the live chat with MS and asked a couple of soft key questions these were the replies. If you can work the api then you should have it made....

Q: [17] Is there a way to disable the soft keys on the screen. Also is there a way to place the icons back onto the bottom bar that are now claiming the space at the bottom?
A: The SHEnableSoftkey() API should do what you need. I'm not sure what you mean by the icons on the bottom bar.

Q: [43] WM5 now places the wifi, bluetooth etc icons within the screen itself and not on the bottom bar as in SE2003 thus making the today screen loose about 10 or so pixels from the bottom.
A: Ah, yes, I understand now. The reason for this is that the Today screen did not have soft keys on PP2003SE. There is no longer any room to put the icons on the soft key bar. The Today window is scrollable.

You have to realize that these API are used when you are creating your own program. When you're writing your own software, you can of course take control and display things anyway you see fit.

Unfortunately there is no known way yet to change the software that are already there (Today screen, calendar, etc.) to hide the softkeys.