View Full Version : PPC newbie needs advices to pick the right PPC to replace my lost T3

Firduas TCJ
11-16-2005, 05:53 AM
My last 3 palms were Handspring, T/T and T3. After I lost my T3 a few months back, I have been struggling with the thought of switching to PPC. After reading several experiences of those who have made the switch, I have made up my mind that it's time to move on.

I'm planning to get the lastest Dell Axim X51v and would like to know if there any other suggestions out there?

Thks 8O

MleB
11-16-2005, 02:11 PM
I had a Palm E until not that long ago and now use a X50. Its okay, but I do sometimes miss some aspects of the PalmOS.

IMHO, Palm is better at handling text and documents (including calendar, addresses, tasks and, with the included Docs2Go, Word files) while Palm Desktop is more intuitive and doesn't impose bloat in the name of 'corporate use' as Outlook does. Meanwhile the Windows Mobile OS is better at multimedia.

The X51 comes with the new Windows Mobile 5 OS - and there continues to be reports of significant problems of stability with it, as seems to be the case with every new OS Microsoft produces.
If you've not had a PDA for a few months I'd frankly suggest you wait a couple more (maybe till January) and see if updates to the OS has restored usability to the PDAs using it. Otherwise, I'm afraid you might find the change of device and OS very frustrating.
In my case, the X50 came with an OS upgrade CD (from WM3 SE to WM5) but reports on that installation have been even less satisfactory, so I'm waiting on that too.

I'd think the WM5 OS situation will be the case with any PPC you may consider - Dell Axim, HP iPaq, Fujitsu-Siemens Loox, whatever - so, like I said, if you can - wait. The Dell product was very competitively priced compared to other brands out there and the rep is (generally) good, but as the devices are pretty much all the same hardware, I think its important to find a device that has a good warranty and that, as a device, works for you - and that may simply be the case of the 3rd Party software it comes bundled with and how much you're willing on spending to get the device working as you liked your Palm to do.

Firduas TCJ
11-17-2005, 04:38 AM
MleB - thanks alot for sharing your experiences and opinions. One of the reasons I am considering Dell is that ( i believe ) it comes with free OS upgrade. Frankly, after using a PDA for years, it's kinda hard to do without the ease of having lots of information in your palm. Btw, do you think the Fujitsu Loox is worth considering?

AKAJohnDoe
11-17-2005, 05:39 AM
For many reasons I would not yet go to WM5 nor an X51V; rather, I would stay with the X50V or HP iPaq hx4700.

http://discussion.brighthand.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=775877