View Full Version : Which?

Verdagon
11-16-2005, 01:57 AM
Hey everyone.

My 4300 just broke (its now blind (the digitizer is cracked (it cant accept taps (parentheses rule)))) and I need to get a new pocket pc.

I recently lost my phone too, so I thought, "well, I'll just get a pocket pc phone". So I looked around, and saw the HTC Wizard, and I was amazed. Then I saw the processor. Ouch. Well, still a good PDA. Then I saw the price. Ouch. Forget it. I had no idea pocket pc phones could be so expensive!

Anyway, I'm looking for a pocket pc or a pocket pc phone.

Price: Under 500$
Phone: Preferably
Screen: Preferably VGA, QVGA is fine, but not 240x240
Battery: Replaceable
Cradle: Option to charge an extra battery while charging the one in the PDA. The 4300 did this very well
Size: Anything
Connectivity: Wifi, and if its a pocket pc phone, then the standard phone connectivity. I don't need EDGE, GPRS, or any of that fancy data-transfer stuff, i'm not going to be using internet on the go (because it would require a service, and that would cost too much)
Software: Needs music playback, word processing, or surfing
Processor: At least 400mhz

I'm thinking a x51v, or maybe a 6300, if I can find a refurb or something (cost is too high)

Anyway, what do you all think?

Sven Johannsen
11-16-2005, 05:28 PM
The prices you find for PPC Phone Editions often are the un-subsidised prices. Cell phones are cheap only because the phone company 'buys it for you' so you'll sign a contract. This is possible with the Wizard as well, here soon it seems. How are you fixed for cell phone contract? Still in one? Can upgrade? Don't want one? The PPCPE won't be free, but it should be substantially cheaper than unlocked models you find on the web.

Verdagon
11-19-2005, 02:23 AM
Not really sure where I stand on the contract... I just want to find the best-suited-to-me pocket pc and then I'll find the lowest price for it.

pocketpcadmirer
11-20-2005, 07:59 AM
I would say u go in for ipaq 6300 series if u r able to find one in stores(!)..make sure u hv the latest ROM and dont install unpopular freeware..install the apps u know. Otherwise u will end up having a locked devise which axiomatically no-one likes.

If u want small form factor then imate jam can be agood choice. Prices of it fallen down considerably. So considering your budget go in for it. You wont regret. I too have imate jam and its really nice.

Sunny :D

Menneisyys
11-21-2005, 11:57 AM
BTW, you may want to read this (http://www.pocketpcmag.com/blogs/index.php?blog=3&title=can_i_use_a_pda_that_has_a_broken_touchs&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1#trackbacks) if you still want to use the PDA without the digitizer.

BigDaddy
11-23-2005, 02:52 AM
Get a hx2755 or 2795, a Sony Ericsson BT phone with EDGE support, and a T-Mobile account and you are good to go...and trust me, you will want GPRS/EDGE sooner or later.

pocketpcadmirer
11-23-2005, 10:08 AM
Get a hx2755 or 2795, a Sony Ericsson BT phone with EDGE support, and a T-Mobile account and you are good to go...and trust me, you will want GPRS/EDGE sooner or later.

:) Um..I think the author has said that he prefers a phone edition model. So I think he should get a converged devise