View Full Version : Notofication Error

reehanj
11-14-2005, 09:24 AM
I recently deleted Skype from mu FS Pocket Loox. Whenever I switch it on now I get the Notification Error - Cannot Execute \Program Files\Skype for Pocket PC\Skype.exe

Any one know how to get rid of this?

Nurhisham Hussein
11-14-2005, 09:37 AM
Look for an entry for Skype in the \Windows\Start up\ folder and delete it.

reehanj
11-14-2005, 09:47 AM
no such entry

Nurhisham Hussein
11-14-2005, 10:00 AM
Ah, this could get tricky. The only other place I've found an entry for skype which could potentially cause problems is their dialer app. You'll need a registry editor to get at that.

1. Go to HKLM\Microsoft\PimApps\PimExtensions\Contacts\AddIns\ and delete the whole entry for"SkypeDialer"

2. Then check to see whether SkypeDialer.dll is in your Windows folder, and delete that as well.

3. Soft reset

Let me go back a minute - you said delete? Did you uninstall the program or just deleted the program folder?

reehanj
11-14-2005, 10:03 AM
I def uninstalled it.

reehanj
11-15-2005, 12:10 AM
where do i get a registry editor from and how do i use it? Thanks

Nurhisham Hussein
11-15-2005, 01:44 AM
Tascal Regedit:

http://www2r.biglobe.ne.jp/~tascal/download/pocketpc/tre_e.htm

There's also PHM Regedit, which has a search function, but unfortunately the website seems to be down at the moment:

http://www.phm.lu/

You might have better luck then I did though.

In any case, either will do the job and both are freeware. Both will present a tree-view of the registry. For your purpose, you need to open up:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\PimApps\PimExtensions\Contacts\AddIns\

HKLM is the standard short form for HKey Local Machine. You may run across other registry hacks on the web that reference to HKCR or HKCU - now you know where they come from.

In any case to get where you want to go, just follow the folder structure - open HKLM, then Software, then Microsoft etc etc. To delete, tap and hold on the Skype Dialer "folder" and select delete.

When dealing with the registry, make sure you make a backup first. Both apps have the options for this. Good Luck!

reehanj
11-15-2005, 08:46 AM
I actually thought to reload Skype and then remove the application again - it worked! A much safer option for a novice that doesn't know about registries!! Thanks for your help!

Nurhisham Hussein
11-15-2005, 09:19 AM
You're welcome, glad you got rid of it!