View Full Version : 02 Exec PDA

graduate
11-09-2005, 08:28 AM
Anybody any ideas on getting this PDA to run faster. I have set up on corporate version ans is a lot faster, but how do I get all 02 setup details. If I ring 02, they will tell me to install on their version.

nickrowlands
11-18-2005, 12:22 AM
Can't offer any help I'm afraid but as a fellow user of this unusably slow device I just wanted to empathise. I think the fastest mine will go is when I throw the thing as far as I can in utter frustration.

I read somewhere (on these forums maybe?) that the phone edition is crippled by having 28 or so of a possible 32 processes running system stuff when the phone is on so anything else you try to do like run a couple of bits of user installed software brings it to its knees.

I'm curious to know more about what a difference it makes installing the corporate mode because if that makes it significantly quicker it would suggest a problem with the O2 software rather than Windows Mobile 5.0. I am certainly VERY unimpressed with it so far. I think I'll be buying a cheap phone and going back to a two box solution with my HP iPAQ hx4700. That too has its faults but it now looks rather more appealing. :evil:

thefunkunfaked
01-15-2006, 06:11 AM
Windows Mobile 5.0 uses persistent storage, constantly writing the application data

It is not at all a slow device, so long as you know how to manage your application processes. Remember to completely close all of your application processes when you are finished with them. Remember that when you are running Task Manager, tapping the "x" will not close the application process for Task Manager itself, tapping the "OK" (or using its symmetrical soft key) will.

If it bothers you that much, maybe an application that is uniquely designed for application management would be of some use.

Corporate Install is faster, simply because it is bare bones as far as applications.

thefunkunfaked
01-15-2006, 06:16 AM
A few best practices that I would recommend are:

1.) Storing as much of your data files on SD storage as you can.
2.) Install the applications which you use the most on your XDA Exec, Install the ones you use less frequently on SD storage.
3.) Don't install or store anything on your XDA Exec that you don't need.

A lot of people get into the habit of making their mobile devices a place to store junk, the way that they would with their PC. Try to avoid that. :mrgreen:

onepieceman
01-15-2006, 04:29 PM
Or you could just revert back to a WM2003 device...
WM5 is a disaster speed wise. They seem to have forgotten that "instant on" is probably the number one justification for a PDA. When it takes in excess of 10 seconds to answer a call, the boundary from usable tool to pointless junk has been crossed.
And yes, I've tried all the alleged speed up tricks, including installing the latest O2 rom (which at least eliminates some of the bugs). All they do is reduce the number of things that the phone is having to run, but even with a minimal setup, it's just too slow.
I reverted back to my old XDA2 after running the Exec for a few weeks, and I was amazed at how instant the response was in comparison.
It's noticeable that none of the "reviews" of WM5 present any real world benchmarks. Perhaps if they did, and presented them side by side with 2003 ones, people would see the full extent of the problem.

thefunkunfaked
01-16-2006, 03:18 AM
Or you could just revert back to a WM2003 device...
WM5 is a disaster speed wise. They seem to have forgotten that "instant on" is probably the number one justification for a PDA. When it takes in excess of 10 seconds to answer a call, the boundary from usable tool to pointless junk has been crossed.
And yes, I've tried all the alleged speed up tricks, including installing the latest O2 rom (which at least eliminates some of the bugs). All they do is reduce the number of things that the phone is having to run, but even with a minimal setup, it's just too slow.
I reverted back to my old XDA2 after running the Exec for a few weeks, and I was amazed at how instant the response was in comparison.
It's noticeable that none of the "reviews" of WM5 present any real world benchmarks. Perhaps if they did, and presented them side by side with 2003 ones, people would see the full extent of the problem.

To the enterprise executive or complicated individual, WM2003 is a featureless piece of junk.

I really don't know what you are trying to do with WM5.0 or the O2 XDA Exec, but if you're running more than 3 memory intensive applications at once, you're really not using the XDA Exec in the way it was intended to be used. It can multitask, but with that, expect delays. Many applications (and even operating systems, ie. Windows Vista) are never instant and take time to load even on the most recent desktop technology, regardless of how powerful they are.

If gaming is important to you, maybe a PSP is more suitable. If you want IE + Outlook + Word + WMP + File Explorer + Adobe Reader/PDF Viewer open at the same time, in addition to having the functionality of a mobile phone, I'm sorry, but you're better off with a laptop as a supplement to your mobile phone.

I normally run 2 and sometimes 3 memory intensive applications at once and rarely go above 65% Main Memory, most often below 60%. I do any combination of messaging, web-browsing when I have an available hot spot, PDF viewing, MS Word, PowerPoint and sometimes I play music files.

I haven't upgraded to the latest ROM and I don't even use "Corporate Install". I haven't owned the device for very long, but I have yet to come across any problems of mentioned nature. Maybe it's just me and my solid foundation for IT.