View Full Version : How do I install tomtom maps?

cardinalsfan
11-09-2005, 05:36 AM
I installed tomtom5 and I get to the part where it looks for a map, but apparently I don't have any maps loaded. I have a map that I tried putting in a few different places on the phone (XV6600) as well on my memory card, but it doesn't seem to find it. Where does the map need to go? And to make sure I am doing this correctly, the maps are only one .dat file correct?

martin_ayton
11-09-2005, 02:04 PM
My (UK) maps are in \Storage Card\Great_Britain-map and this directory contains a number of files, viz:

cline.dat
cname.dat
cnode.dat
faces.dat
Great_Britian-24a02c86.mac
Great_Britian-Map.cfg
Great_Britain.mid
Great_Britain.pna
mapinfo.dat
poi.dat
tmccodes.dat
traffic.dat
traffic.inc

However, I seem to recall having a similar problem when I first set up TTN3: it kept saying that no maps had been installed when I *knew* they had been. It was a while ago and I can't remember the exact fix. I think it was to do with the Wizard not working properly. Once I abandoned that and set up a shortcut to access the TomTom Navigator.exe file directly, everything suddenly worked fine.

Do try contacting TomTom (via their website is best). Their support team aren't always super quick, but in my experience they do keep trying until you have a working system.

All the best.

cardinalsfan
11-09-2005, 06:51 PM
Thanks.. got it working thus far.. but now my question is.. where can I buy the USA maps. Idon't want each city map and that's all I can find on the tomtom site. I want teh entire USA or at least to purchase a regional map.

Copter
11-16-2005, 10:08 PM
You can buy the USA TeleAtlas maps for the TomTom GO from here:

http://www.globalpositioningsystems.co.uk/tomtom-go-maps-of-western-europe121-description.html?PHPSESSID=ecd531dca72e14a662d2fadf122f833e