View Full Version : Best alternative to Sprite Backup

biglouis
11-06-2005, 09:14 AM
Hmm. I don't think I can wait any longer for Sprite to create a WM5 compatible version of Sprite Backup.

Does anyone know what would be the best alternative which is WM5 compatible?

LouisB

Patrick Y.
11-06-2005, 07:30 PM
None!! :wink: ( I think)

biglouis
11-06-2005, 09:23 PM
I'm rapidly coming to that conclusion, as well. I can't find anything at Handango.

Surprising really, and it means either there is no demand for backup software (and therefore a lot of people playing poker with the information on their handhelds) or there is a helluva opportunity for an enterprising developer out there.

Lets hope Sprite comes through soon!

LouisB

Patrick Y.
11-06-2005, 09:27 PM
Can't you just use the built-in backup utility. It is not great, but something is always better than nothing.

torgamm
11-06-2005, 10:20 PM
Did you try SunnySoft Backup Manager ?

Paragon
11-06-2005, 10:52 PM
Can't you just use the built-in backup utility. It is not great, but something is always better than nothing.

It's not there any more. :devilboy:

Sunnysoft Backup Manager sort of works. It doesn't backup email or email settings, plus you have to save the .exe on the storage card as well in order for it to restore after a hard reset. It is much better than nothing though. ;)

Dave

Jerry Raia
11-07-2005, 04:25 AM
Sprite was notoriously slow about getting a working version for Smartphones. They were even worse at responding to support requests. I hope that will not be the case here.

Patrick Y.
11-07-2005, 07:55 AM

It's not there any more. :devilboy:

Dave

Nope, it's still there. Read the review of x51v again.... If I'm not mistaken, the original poster has x51v. Though, I'm not sure about k-jam.

Paragon
11-07-2005, 02:15 PM
Nope, it's still there. Read the review of x51v again.... If I'm not mistaken, the original poster has x51v. Though, I'm not sure about k-jam.

Sorry Patrick, someone is mistaken because there is NO backup solution in As 4.0 or 4.1. I'm looking at 4.1 right now, and it is not there.

Which review are you talking about?

[edit] Found it in Jason's review.

On the X51v, I did a backup using the included application, then hard reset and a restore. I restore the device, then after a soft reset I noticed the date was wrong.

It looks like Dell have included a backup solution that works for WM5.0? Can you confirm this Jason, or was this a beta of some sort?

Dave

Nurhisham Hussein
11-07-2005, 02:23 PM
Ooops, posted while paragon was editing his post.

Paragon
11-07-2005, 02:28 PM
Yeah, I just checked at the Aximsite and there definitely is a backup solution for the x51. Crud! HTC would have built this app since they developed the Axim, and they aren't putting it in any of their devices. I hope Dell paid them well for the privilege. ;)

Dave

Patrick Y.
11-08-2005, 01:22 AM
Sorry Patrick, someone is mistaken because there is NO backup solution in As 4.0 or 4.1. I'm looking at 4.1 right now, and it is not there.

Which review are you talking about?

[edit] Found it in Jason's review.

I mean the backup program on x51v, not the backup function of activesync. Sorry.

It looks like Dell have included a backup solution that works for WM5.0? Can you confirm this Jason, or was this a beta of some sort?

Dave

Yes, there is a backup program on x51v. It is very similar to the one on x50v. I believe this is stated in "software part" of every reviews I read.

Paragon
11-08-2005, 04:12 AM
I believe this is stated in "software part" of every reviews I read.

Sorry, I guess I never read any of them. :)

Darius Wey
11-08-2005, 04:34 AM
Yeah, I just checked at the Aximsite and there definitely is a backup solution for the x51. Crud! HTC would have built this app since they developed the Axim, and they aren't putting it in any of their devices. I hope Dell paid them well for the privilege. ;)

Good guess. The Data Backup application was developed by HTC. Not sure why other devices don't have it (besides the cost and all). :|

Paragon
11-08-2005, 04:38 AM

Good guess. The Data Backup application was developed by HTC. Not sure why other devices don't have it (besides the cost and all). :|

iMate can put the world's lousiest antivirus software on their devices, but couldn't put a useful backup solution on them, when there is no 3rd party solution at the moment. :twisted: