View Full Version : X50V, usability questionss for WM 5

kirankaja
11-05-2005, 07:25 AM
OK folks,

I finally have received the upgrade (having paid $50 although I could have waited for the free one) but have a few questions.

I read somewhere that pressing the power button for a few seconds will completely shut off clearing the RAM. When the power button is pressed again, it will initiate the whole bootup process again. But pressing it for a few seconds just dims the display as it used to do before the upgrade. Am I doing something wrong here?

Thanks,,
KK.

TheWolfen
11-05-2005, 08:27 AM
Apparently, the X50v's WM5 upgrade does not include that feature, unfortunately. I've not read anything that indicates whether that is a bug or intentional, but I'm hoping it is just a bug.

kirankaja
11-05-2005, 08:31 AM
Any idea what's going to happen if the battery is completely discharged? I hope Dell haven't taken that feature out.

Thanks,
KK.

Darius Wey
11-05-2005, 12:31 PM
Any idea what's going to happen if the battery is completely discharged? I hope Dell haven't taken that feature out.

Your data will still remain. Persistent storage is not something Dell would take out of Windows Mobile 5.0, since it is one of the fundamental features of the OS itself.

MitchellO
11-07-2005, 10:27 PM
I doubt they could take it out even if they wanted to (why????). WM5 used ROM for storage, and RAM for running apps, as should have been done in the first place.

Regarding holding the button to completely turn the device off, my K-JAM does that. I hold the power button for ~4secs and it prompts me that I will lose unsaved data if I continue. All it is saying is that you must save everything you have running, as the RAM (where RUNNING programs are) will be cleared (because it is not receiving power). All of your apps and files are still there in ROM. Only used it once, because I never need to turn it off completely. I have the phone on all the time.