View Full Version : hx2410 and WM5 Upgrade - A Disappointment?

MarcFou
11-03-2005, 11:52 AM
I recently purchased the WM5 upgrade from HP and I thought I would post some information about it. But first let me say the upgrade was not everything I thought it would be.

First the bad

Persistent Storage. It wont help your battery. I was under the impression with the new data storage that the power button would work like a true on off switch. Since data does remain even when the battery is dead, I assumed shutting off the device would do exactly that. Apparently not. The ipaq power button still works as a "stand by" button. On a 100% charge I shut off my device. Waited 6 hours. Turned it on. The battery was at 96% and the programs I left running were still running. Thats not what I was expecting.

Second issue. Performance. My ipaq runs like a dog. With only the upgrade installed (no 3rd party apps) its speed is almost unbearable. Example. To open File Explorer takes about 4 seconds.

While its opening my screen freezes and elements are drawn one at a time. First the menu bar appears... 2 seconds later the lower toolbar appears. The Today screen background is still visible where the Explorer folder view should be.

The same problem occurs when closing File Explorer. It reminds me of a PC running Win XP and a 4 MB video card. The screen repaint is painfully slow and ghost images of an application linger.

The Good

My data is almost indestructible! I did a hard reset and even my shortcuts I created remained. Only a ROM upgrade will remove your data (yes I tried it).

WiFi seems more reliable for me. Connects faster and stays connected.

Application installations are as they should be. Even if you forget to select the option in ActiveSync to install to your SD card, not to worry. WM5 has a very simple dialog that prompts you to select either MAIN, SD or NETWORK. When installing to my SD I noticed my programs were neatly organized into a "Program Files" folder that WM5 created.

Overall Impression
I am disappointment about the power and performance issues. But I cant exactly blame anyone but me for that ;)

If you have the processing power + a good amount of memory then the upgrade will prove worth while. Your ipaq file store will be gone and your memory divided between ram and rom. No options avail. to adjust.

[Note] I tried the Glyph Cache reg tweak and that did NOT have any impact on performance. Anyone have any tried and true tips?

Menneisyys
11-04-2005, 04:02 PM
Persistent Storage. It wont help your battery. I was under the impression with the new data storage that the power button would work like a true on off switch. Since data does remain even when the battery is dead, I assumed shutting off the device would do exactly that. Apparently not. The ipaq power button still works as a "stand by" button. On a 100% charge I shut off my device. Waited 6 hours. Turned it on. The battery was at 96% and the programs I left running were still running. Thats not what I was expecting.

You need to expliciltly configure your PDA to shut down itself completely when you, for example, press and hold the Power button.

(If you can live with the tens of seconds-long - that's the case of the x51v; the HP WM5 devices may be similar - rebooting process, that is.)

MarcFou
11-04-2005, 06:58 PM
You need to expliciltly configure your PDA to shut down itself completely when you, for example, press and hold the Power button.

Sounds great! But how is this done? I cant find any reference or documentation to allow the device to truly power off. One user suggested simply removing the battery :)

qtrade88
11-07-2005, 03:46 PM
I am having difficult time sync the Calendar with the new WM5 for my Hx2755. :cry: Are you having this particular problem? Need help!
I tried the HP and Microsoft...it is useless.
Thx.

MarcFou
11-07-2005, 07:59 PM
So far I have been sync-trouble free. What kind of trouble are you having? Also are you using Activesync 4?

qtrade88
11-08-2005, 10:17 PM
Thank you MarcFou, I got the problem solved by reinstalling the upgrade. So far so good. Thank you again.
:)