View Full Version : Greatly in need of advice

jpjehu
11-03-2005, 12:09 AM
I am in great need of your recommendations. It has been a long-standing dream to work in the Pocket PC/Handheld industry. Until recently I haven’t been able to transition or research what possibilities lie in the corporate world for a position in this industry. Now things are different, but I am in great need of advice on where to start.

My background with handhelds is simply defined with one word – consumed! I bought my first Pocket PC – the Cassiopeia E-10 – in 1999 and have been radically committed ever since. I’ve owned and operated the following:
· Cassiopeia E-10, E-125
· Compaq/HP iPAQ H3635, h3765, h3855, h3955, h5455, h5555, h1945, h2215, h4155, hx4705
· Toshiba e750, e805
· NEC 800?
· Currently own the Dell Axim x50v.
I’ve also strayed at various points to the Palm camp (mostly for better screen resolution or form factor – aka Clie). I’ve owned the following Palm OS handhelds:
· Palm V, Palm T3
· Sony Clie T615, N760, NZ90, NX80V, TH-55
· Treo 650.
I’ve never owned a Blackberry, but would be open to learning the technology as it has an incredible presence in the marketplace.

I’ve never written code for either OS, and don’t feel that I would be best utilized doing so. I have a degree in Mechanical Engineering, I’ve worked five years as a full-time Minister for various ministries – three years as Lead Minister for a 150+ congregation – and I have spent the last year as a Financial Advisor. I’m currently looking at transitioning from a commission-only firm to working with a bank, but I’d love to at least consider my options in the handheld arena before making any final decisions. For those of you whom I’ve followed and respected over the last six years I’m attaching my resume to my email, and for those seeing this on a general forum post I would gladly supply a resume upon request.

Again, I really just need advice on where to start, who to contact, what positions are typical to the industry, etc. I would love to work in handheld sales to corporations or on a marketing team for a manufacturer, but I would gladly be open to anything.

SteveHoward999
11-03-2005, 12:18 AM
I'd say just pick up some software and get on with it ...

OK sounds a little radical, but stay with me a minute.

Right now there is a big push by Macromedia to get Flash into all mobile devices - phones, PDAs and other handheld devices.

Why do I mention Flash? You can do (almost) anything you want with Flash, especially with some new updates on the horizon. Better yet, with one piece of source code you can deliver the same application to a phone, a PDA, a PC, a Mac or anything else that supports the Flash player.

Since you want to get involved developing for devices, the easiest way to get employers to notice you is to go ahead and do it, then go and show the people you want to work for. This is still one of the few industries where people are far more interested in results than in qualifications.

Build the right stuff - whether it is games or useful widgits - and you could sell them for a small fee on the Macromedia Exchange, or on places like Handango, so you could (in theory) get money for the stuff you build as you learn ... hmmm , getting paid for your hobby .... :-)

But it's up to you to do the work. You can still find companies willing to hire motivated beginners, but it is better for them and for you if you can show them you are a motivated and accomplished beginner.