View Full Version : Microdrive power usage

Typhoon
11-02-2005, 05:20 AM
Does this thread belong in the off-topic thread? I couldn't figure it out...but oh well...I'll see what happens.

I'm not knowledgable about microdrives... Do microdrives require constant power from the PDA? Or just when it is in use? Or does it require power periodically, even when I am not using the MD?

SHC
11-02-2005, 02:54 PM
I have a 4gb Hitachi drive in my ipaq 4700. I don't have the technical specs for it but only subjective experience.
It seems to spin up when I turn the device on then stops. it then only spins up when accessed. If you use it to store music then it will use a lot of power when playing tracks from Windows Media Player, same for video's. However, there are 3rd party music players, like Pocket Player, that can cache music at the start of each track so reducing the time the microdrive is spinning and draining the battery.
Subjectively, in general use I don't notice any problem with the microdrive. Just don't buy a Magicstore one!

Typhoon
11-02-2005, 05:11 PM
Why not a MagicStore one?

SHC
11-02-2005, 05:35 PM
I've had 2, both failed. if you look around these forums and others you will see a lot of folks who have a similar experience. They are very cheap at the moment compared to Hitachi. When I had mine they seemed to run very hot. If you can get a money back guarantee.......

hiatus
11-03-2005, 08:28 PM
my fd got a MicroStor 2.2GB on his X50v, he said for some reason it drains battery even though it's not spinning or doing anything

Anyways, I would stay away from MicroStor for its big power comsumption
Hitachi seems to be good and popular.

Typhoon
11-03-2005, 09:23 PM
I guess MagicStor sounds pretty bad. After your comments, I think I will stick w/CompactFlash. Before I was just thinking about the very cheap costs of MD. Like $150 for a 5gb MD is pretty cheap...

mfgriggs
11-05-2005, 04:29 PM
For what it is worth, I am a professional photgrapher and have had absolutely no problems with any of my Hitachi 6Gb MDs.

Typhoon
11-05-2005, 09:16 PM
For what it is worth, I am a professional photgrapher and have had absolutely no problems with any of my Hitachi 6Gb MDs.

Hmm... thanks for letting me know. But the power usage is a big consideration, huh? Considering if I were to use it with Axim X50v?

Typhoon
11-07-2005, 02:30 AM
Does anyone have any problem with Seagate?

Darius Wey
11-07-2005, 04:07 AM
Does anyone have any problem with Seagate?

I've never tried a Seagate MD, but let me say that my experience with Seagate hard disks have been anything but rosy. All but one Seagate HDD I've owned in the past has gone "kaput" on me for no apparent reason. The most reliable ones I've come across are Western Digital and Samsung.

But having said all that, I'm sure Seagate have polished up their mechanical platters, so they still might be worth a look. Bear in mind they still are one of the industry's leaders as is evident by this post: http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=40669