View Full Version : Cellular Network Down, Finding It Difficult To Concentrate

Ed Hansberry
10-31-2005, 08:10 PM
About 2 hours ago my 4 bars on my PDA2K turned into the exclamation point, showing it was looking for service. I of course did the first thing any knowledgeable Pocket PC user would do - soft reset! No joy. I called T-Mobile and they said there was nothing down in the area. Now I am thinking it is my device, so on my lunch break, I drove to another tower. (Pathetic isn't it?) Thankfully the signal was strong and I called T-Mobile from my cell phone to report the outage. By then, they knew about it and said it was some sort of high-capacity issue in the area, whatever that means. There are more farm animals in this part of the country than people. Maybe the pigs are SMS'ing each other. What really irritates me is the phone can see the Cingular towers but their computers say T-Mobile has coverage in this are and won't allow roaming. So, when towers go down, tough noogies. :evil: <br /><br />Anyway, I have no voice, email, SMS, MMS or anything else. I am actually forced to use Outlook on my laptop to do emails. 8O <i>Oh the humanity!</i> I am finding it difficult to concentrate because my lifeline to both work and personal lives has been severed, albeit temporarily. I hope... :worried:

ctmagnus
10-31-2005, 08:16 PM
That happened to me a few months ago. It lasted two days, and boy was it tough. However, I use a Smartphone and a non-PE PPC, so I wasn't in quite the same situation as you.

carphead
10-31-2005, 08:20 PM
Just remember happy haloween :)

Maybe the witches are sorting out their plans for the evening! :D

Mike Temporale
10-31-2005, 08:34 PM
That would be worse than forgetting your device at home because it's out of your hands and there is nothing you can do to prevent it. :( Hopefully it will be a short outage for you. :(

Jereboam
10-31-2005, 08:39 PM
I get nice EDGE service in Switzerland...but shock you I must...I've switched to a Treo 650...and I get push email with Chattermail...so...

If the network went down it would really hurt. Once you go push there's no going back.

Hope they get that tower back up fast for you.

Outlook...now there's a Halloween fright!

Silver5
10-31-2005, 09:05 PM
The closest tower to my home in the suburbs (very populated area) has been down for about 3 months...they keep telling me it is my phone since it is a Jam (and now the Qtek), the same phone(s) that work perfectly everywhere else. When someone came home with me and noticed her phone not working, she called them and they said that they were doing "service" in the area."

Here's my theory:

If your phone is under T-Mobile's warranty, any problem will be blamed on the network. This way they avoid replacing faulty phones. If you bought your phone elsewhere, the phone is the problem, even if it works everywhere else as well as Cingular's network.

Ed Hansberry
10-31-2005, 10:27 PM
Update: The tower is back, emails are flowing :alfdance: ...and I've lost my stylus. :frusty:

KTamas
10-31-2005, 10:56 PM
...and I've lost my stylus. :frusty:
Long fingernails on pointing fingers is as good as stylus, although my classmates keep looking at me weirdly sometimes.... :roll:

Patrick Y.
10-31-2005, 11:56 PM
Just remember happy haloween :)

Maybe the witches are sorting out their plans for the evening! :D

or wizards... maybe ghosts too! :)

Jon Westfall
11-01-2005, 12:27 AM
The closest tower to my home in the suburbs (very populated area) has been down for about 3 months...they keep telling me it is my phone since it is a Jam (and now the Qtek), the same phone(s) that work perfectly everywhere else. When someone came home with me and noticed her phone not working, she called them and they said that they were doing "service" in the area."

Here's my theory:

If your phone is under T-Mobile's warranty, any problem will be blamed on the network. This way they avoid replacing faulty phones. If you bought your phone elsewhere, the phone is the problem, even if it works everywhere else as well as Cingular's network.

#1 T-Mo rule of thumb: If using a phone that isn't the one you originally bought from them, you simply lie when they ask you what phone you are using...

yada88
11-01-2005, 02:20 AM
Don't feel bad about going from tower to tower. I've done it before, ran from one to the other to test the equipment.

allenalb
11-01-2005, 03:21 AM
you would never survive in a hurricane, Ed :)

i'm down here is sunny (not really) Florida, and the power has been out for a week, and it's expected to be down for another 3 weeks (i'm in Ft. Lauderdale).

the storm killed all the power to the cell towers, and it took 5 days to fix :)

luckily they got power to the tower in my area, so although i don't have electricity, i can talk on the phone (gotta bring the phone to work to charge it though, accursed MPX-200 1- day standby).

oddly enough, the water went out two days after the storm, but was only out for a day.

Ed Hansberry
11-01-2005, 04:32 AM
i'm down here is sunny (not really) Florida, and the power has been out for a week, and it's expected to be down for another 3 weeks (i'm in Ft. Lauderdale).
Ugh. That does put it in perspective. :|

Darius Wey
11-01-2005, 04:36 AM
No phone for a day makes you feel insecure, doesn't it? Kind of like how I feel when I forget my watch. ;)

atrain
11-01-2005, 04:51 AM
I get phone reception fine: too bad i dont have a smartphone... :P (dont even own a cell, what kind of geek am I? :( )

Having issues tracking down good WEP-less aps though. I use agile to connect to AOL, and send SMS's through that. :D

aNiMeMaN14
11-01-2005, 07:03 AM
Same happened to me just a few hours ago. I was at the Halloween parade in NYC with my ex (yeah, I know), and I went on AIM to check any messages, only to find a nice, fat ! waiting for me, as opposed to a "G". This is the second time in three weeks for this to happen, even after soft reseting. What the heck is going on? I don't think GSM popularity is growing... maybe it's those damn Sidekicks?

Lex
11-01-2005, 12:31 PM
People find the T-Mobl. network pretty 'porous' in my state. Technology seems ahead of this provider's ability to provide it?

emuelle1
11-01-2005, 01:43 PM
I've found that T-mobile does have the best prices, but I heard too many complaints about limited service so we just stayed with Cingular. Of course, I'm not on a data plan yet.

TheZodiac
11-01-2005, 02:31 PM
I have NO GPRS in Massachusetts. T-mo customer here. 4 Bars (SidekickII) but no data... voice OK.

How you say?. "whack"?

:lol: