View Full Version : Need Help, Which phone to buy?

orange04boss
10-31-2005, 09:20 AM
I like the new Ipaq hw 6515 but the 6715 will come out in a couple months. The only major difference is that 6715 has wifi and it does not have the sd/mmc but it does have the mini slot. So my question is What is Wi-FI, do I need it, and any suggestions? Thanks for all the help.

Darius Wey
10-31-2005, 12:07 PM
If you ever hear anyone saying they have connected to a "wireless network", you can generally assume they're referring to a Wi-Fi network. It's an abbreviation for "Wireless Fidelity" and is based on the 802.11 specifications.

A lot of businesses and homes now use it, but note it's different to Bluetooth (which is another form of wireless networking). Wi-Fi is more popular though.

I strongly suggest reading this article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wi-fi) for some background information. There's so much to Wi-Fi that I wouldn't know where to begin or end if I decided to explain it all in this one post.

As for the question on whether you'd need it, that largely depends on what you'd use your Pocket PC for. If you think you might use it to connect to wireless networks (whether at home or at work), then I'd consider having it in your Pocket PC. Most of the readers on this site wouldn't even buy a Pocket PC without Wi-Fi now, so you can sort of gather the popularity of Wi-Fi in today's technological age.

Also, welcome to Pocket PC Thoughts. Just as a heads-up, we discourage cross-posting of the same question across the forums. I have deleted the other thread that you made not too long ago.

orange04boss
11-01-2005, 05:04 AM
THANKS FOR THE ADVICE, MY NEXT POST WILL BE ABOUT THE NEW HW6715 OR THE HW6515. DO I NEED A SD/MMC MEMORY SLOT. I SAW SOMEWHERE THAT IN THE SLOT YOU COULD PUT A MEMORY CARD IN THERE AND HAVE IT ACT AS A FINGERPRINT RECOGNITION MODULE. IS THAT TRUE, IS SOMEONE MAKING THIS?

Darius Wey
11-01-2005, 08:22 AM
THANKS FOR THE ADVICE, MY NEXT POST WILL BE ABOUT THE NEW HW6715 OR THE HW6515. DO I NEED A SD/MMC MEMORY SLOT. I SAW SOMEWHERE THAT IN THE SLOT YOU COULD PUT A MEMORY CARD IN THERE AND HAVE IT ACT AS A FINGERPRINT RECOGNITION MODULE. IS THAT TRUE, IS SOMEONE MAKING THIS?

Try turning off the caps lock. ;)

SD/MMC is a little more popular than miniSD, primarily because it's been around for longer, but also because higher capacity cards are available in SD than miniSD. If all you're going to use it for is memory expansion and you think you can get by on miniSD, then I'd say that SD/MMC isn't mandatory for you.

As for the biometric reader in an SD card, I've not heard anything about that yet. Do you have a URL handy?

orange04boss
11-02-2005, 08:13 AM
i think i might wait and get the new treo that is coming out. it will have 5.0 and sd/mmc. have u been to sdcard.com. i like that fingerprint sd idea. do i have a url, what does that mean.

Darius Wey
11-02-2005, 01:57 PM
do i have a url, what does that mean.

What I mean is a link to the web page featuring this so-called "fingerprint SD idea". I had a quick look at sdcard.com and can't find it anywhere. Then again, I'm tired, so I may not be looking hard enough. ;)

orange04boss
11-06-2005, 11:33 PM
TRY WWW.SDCARD.COM INSTEAD.

Darius Wey
11-07-2005, 04:29 AM
TRY WWW.SDCARD.COM INSTEAD.

Yes, I went there and I've searched high and low, but I still do not see it. Rather than providing a link to the home page, try providing a link to the actual product page.

orange04boss
11-07-2005, 07:00 PM
http://www.sdcard.com/usa/

try that