View Full Version : extra base

unikronn
10-29-2005, 12:06 PM
hello there,

i have had a ppc phone for sometime now and i have been using wmp for my music needs. Recently my friend played me a music track (that we both had) on his sony ericsson k750i which sounded good until he turned on the extra base then it sounded GREAT :evil:.

how can i go back to tinny music of wmp? I have even used the TCMP thingy but that has not got an extra base function either. Is there a light music player (wmv and mp3) that will get me extra base for my music?

do they even have plugins for wmp 10 for ppc?

Darius Wey
10-29-2005, 01:16 PM
Which Pocket PC Phone Edition do you have? There are some devices which feature an Audio option in Settings, allowing you to adjust bass, treble, 3D surround, etc.

If you don't have that, then I suggest sampling a third-party media player such as Pocket Player (http://www.conduits.com/products/player/) or PocketMusic. (http://www.pocketmind.com/) Both applications feature extensive options for tweaking different aspects of sound output.

Bottom line: Most Pocket PCs are capable of rivalling many of today's MP3 audio players. You'll be surprised at how good they sound once you push it to its full potential.

unikronn
10-29-2005, 01:52 PM
oh sorry, i got a qtek 2020i now.... i can't see any other functions you say? am i looking in the right places.

the programmes you mention are they memory hogs cause i like to run card games or *whisper it* soduku while playing my music, can i still do this?

out of the two you mention which would you say is better? i gather i can't use wmp 10 for this :evil:, it would have been so good in conjuction with voice command damn it

Darius Wey
10-29-2005, 02:57 PM
oh sorry, i got a qtek 2020i now.... i can't see any other functions you say? am i looking in the right places.

You should look in "Start > Programs" and "Start > Settings". Occasionally, some OEMs include audio settings within a Microphone or Audio applet. Unfortunately, I don't have a Qtek 2020i, so I can't check if the device has such an applet (but if I recall correctly, it doesn't, and I don't believe anyone has found the registry setting to tweak audio on that device either).

the programmes you mention are they memory hogs cause i like to run card games or *whisper it* soduku while playing my music, can i still do this?

Yes, you should be able to. I used to use Pocket Player alongside Internet Explorer and Pocket Inbox on my iPAQ h1940, and that thing wasn't exactly blessed with a lot of memory.

out of the two you mention which would you say is better? i gather i can't use wmp 10 for this :evil:, it would have been so good in conjuction with voice command damn it

I prefer Pocket Player, but your mileage may vary. Pocket Mind Software just released a new version of Pocket Music (check the front page of this site for the details), so I think that's worth checking out. Unfortunately, WMP10 is a little basic and plugins aren't readily available for it yet.

unikronn
10-30-2005, 11:21 PM

Nurhisham Hussein
10-31-2005, 01:11 AM
Did you try the equalizer in TCPMP? That works pretty well for me.

unikronn
10-31-2005, 10:33 AM
Did you try the equalizer in TCPMP? That works pretty well for me.

well er.............no :( i saw the settings but did not know what settings to use to increase the base.

what settings do you use? :D, thanks for the reply

Darius Wey
10-31-2005, 11:54 AM
well er.............no :( i saw the settings but did not know what settings to use to increase the base.

what settings do you use? :D, thanks for the reply

To use an equalizer, you need to know a bit about sound frequencies. Putting it simply, bass is associated with your low-end frequencies, while treble is associated with your high-end frequencies. If you want to boost your bass response, increase the dB levels for the low frequencies like so:

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/images/web/2003/wey-20051031-TCPMP.jpg

If you want a bit of a treble booster, you can do the same thing with your high-end frequencies. Make sure you don't push it too far to the right, otherwise you'll notice sound distortion. In fact, the best way is to experiment yourself. Hope that helps. :)

Down8
11-04-2005, 12:18 AM
...increase the base.And for the love of Jebus, the word is BASS.

;)
-bZj

Nurhisham Hussein
11-07-2005, 03:18 AM
LOL@Down8!

@unikronn
Darius' advice is just the ticket. If you want to get technical, the range of human hearing is 20Hz to 20KHz. Bass fundamentals go from the subsonic (about 15Hz which you feel rather than hear) to about 200Hz or so, with harmonics going to the 1KHz range. Human voices tend to be in the 600Hz-800Hz range IIRC.

Most people use a v-shape to their equalizer settings, with high bass and treble, and lower settings for the mid-frequencies (the 1KHz range). This seems to give the 'boom-box' type of sound perception-wise, though you tend to lose a bit of 'body' which could be useful in bad audio environments (like cars, or noisy trains/mass transit vehicles). If you're using headphones, the 'v' is the way to go if you want more bass.

Darius Wey
11-07-2005, 03:57 AM
Human voices tend to be in the 600Hz-800Hz range IIRC.

Actually, it's 300 to 3000Hz. Just thought I'd throw that one in there. :)

Nurhisham Hussein
11-07-2005, 04:07 AM
I stand corrected, thanks :D

unikronn
11-08-2005, 08:31 PM
too techy for me.....i just wanted booooooom :D

Patrick Y.
11-12-2005, 12:39 AM
I believe that GSplayer, a freebie, has base and many other functionality.

unikronn
11-12-2005, 10:33 AM
I believe that GSplayer, a freebie, has base and many other functionality.

:D FREE 8)

thanks

Patrick Y.
11-13-2005, 04:50 AM
Glad to hear I finally give someone the right suggestion!! Under Tools-Effect, you can find everything you want!!

pocketpcadmirer
12-08-2005, 05:14 PM
...increase the base.And for the love of Jebus, the word is BASS.

;)
-bZj

I fell off my chair after reading your post !! You know what, ASA I started reading this thread, I was wondering WTH this "base" word is..I mean I have been using handhelds for years and I've never heard of *this* word..he he..LOL

Sunny

Patrick Y.
12-09-2005, 12:50 AM
:lol: