View Full Version : New Device Advice

Paula
10-28-2005, 08:43 PM
Hi,
I have been away from the boards for a while and frankly, I'm out of touch with what the best or near perfect PPC is these days. MY 2215 is 2 years old and well, I never thought I would say this, but I think it's time to buy a new, more powerful sibling for my PPC Fred.

Anyone care to offer any advice?
Is the 4700 still the only dual slot machine on the market?
I think I saw something in passig the other day that said there were problems with the 4700. Is this true?

Cheers
Paula

Sven Johannsen
10-28-2005, 10:28 PM
Is the 4700 still the only dual slot machine on the market?

No, Dell X50/X51, HP hx2000 series are dual slot CF and SD. Not sure about the Loox and Toshiba models off hand. The HP 6515 has two slots too, but SD and mini-SD ;)

SteveHoward999
10-28-2005, 11:00 PM
Toshiba E800 and E830 have CF and SD slots.

Menneisyys
10-29-2005, 06:07 AM
I think I saw something in passig the other day that said there were problems with the 4700. Is this true?

There are problems with the hx4700 (see for example http://www.pocketpcmag.com/blogs/index.php?blog=3&cat=96 on this), but they are not that lethal (unless HP demands money for fixing the peeling-up touchpad or you burn the hx4700 buzzer, for example).

There're a lot of other two-slot devices too - in addition to the Dell Axim x50/x51 series, the Pocket Loox 718/720 also have to card slots.

lesterm
10-29-2005, 11:22 PM
[quote=Paula]I think I saw something in passig the other day that said there were problems with the 4700. Is this true?

There are problems with the hx4700 (see for example http://www.pocketpcmag.com/blogs/index.php?blog=3&cat=96 on this), but they are not that lethal (unless HP demands money for fixing the peeling-up touchpad or you burn the hx4700 buzzer, for example). quote]

I too have read about lots of problems with the top line hx4700.

Lucky I didn't read them before buying one a year ago! I must be the lucky one because used daily it hasn't missed a beat - really, honestly, its great.

The speaker problem when some 3rd party apps could turn the volume up too high ( I think that was the problem), blowing the speaker has been fixed with the ROM update.

The peeling touchpad hasn't afflicted my device - I would be very unimpressed if it did (just checked to make sure!).

Contrary to much that I've read my hx has been by far the most stable, reliable PDA I've owned.

If you can get used to the touchpad and the size doesn't bother you (in my jeans pocket all day everyday), I can't see that you'd have a problem.

Not to say you wouldn't be with an x50v etc, but no experience with them.

Good luck

Paula
10-30-2005, 08:07 AM
Thanks everyone for responding.
I haven't seen any new models appear lately. Have I missed them?
What are the rumours for the new models?

I'm still more impressed with the 4700, but I may look into a Dell.

Paula

Menneisyys
10-30-2005, 12:25 PM
I haven't seen any new models appear lately. Have I missed them?
What are the rumours for the new models?

I'm still more impressed with the 4700, but I may look into a Dell.

Paula

HP/Fujitsu-Siemens still haven't announced their VGA models (if any).