View Full Version : Bluetooth GPS with TomTom

Laurence
10-27-2005, 05:12 PM
I recently bought an Acer N50 palmtop, largely to use as a SatNav device, with a Bluetooth GPS device and the TomTom software. The system works very well, however sometimes getting the Bluetooth connection working is tricky, so I thought I'd post my findings here, in case anyone else was having similar problems.

I currently have the GPS receiver paired with the palmtop (Bluetooth Manager/Tools/Paired devices) and have discovered that the TomTom software can't find the GPS if it is the "default device for outgoing serial connections". (bluetooth icon in the bottom right/Bluetooth Settings/Services/Serial Port/Advanced)

This seems to be pretty much a work/don't work toggle, so if you're having issues connecting your TomTom to a BT GPS device, this might be your answer!

Any other tips, please feel free to post in this thread.

Laurence

Paladin27
10-27-2005, 08:13 PM
THANK YOU! I had this exact problem and finally just gave up on using TomTom5 with my Bluetooth GPS unit. This fixed it! Thanks for posting that info!

Laurence
10-27-2005, 10:06 PM
Heh, you're quite welcome. I'd been having all kinds of problems with getting it to work (especially frustrating because it worked perfectly with Pocket Streets...), and had finally got it working... Then the device crashed (as I mentioned here (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=43995)) and suddenly I couldn't get it working reliably again... Now looks like I've finally managed to subdue it!

DerekAbney
11-01-2005, 02:35 PM
I've been thinking about getting a standalone TomTom device, either the GO 300 or 700. The 700 has hands free BT, but the 300 has BT as well, just not hands free. Any suggestions on which to get?

Laurence
11-01-2005, 02:46 PM
To be honest, I don't really know - also not quite sure what you mean by hands free bluetooth!

{edit} Ah, I see now. Just been to look. :-) I guess how useful that is, is something that only you can answer! I don't tend to want to make calls when driving, so I wouldn't need it, but you might use it more! {end edit}

My thoughts when I was getting it were basically that I might as well get a palmtop with the TomTom software, since then I'd effectively have a palmtop /and/ Sat Nav, rather than just Sat Nav, and there are so many other things you can do with it, like wireless web surfing and playing video clips. I think it also turned out to be cheaper!

DerekAbney
11-01-2005, 02:54 PM
I just know that I will use it only in my car. That's why I want either the 300 or 700. By hands free BT, I mean all you have to do is tap the screen to accept or make a call through the device.

Laurence
11-01-2005, 03:39 PM
Hmmm. If you really only want it for in car navigation, then it probably makes sense to get a "proper" TomTom. It looks to me as if the 300 is going to be a similar price to a palmtop with accessories and TT software... However the TomTom unit will probably be easier to set up, and possibly more reliable!

However given that the TTG 700 is about £180 more than the TTG 300, I'd be tempted to get the 300 and a BT hands free kit...

I stand by my earlier comment about not knowing much about the hardware side of TomToms though, having gone the palmtop route myself! All I can do is read websites and say what I think about them.

DerekAbney
11-02-2005, 03:23 PM
I really appreciate your opinion thouhg. It's nice to hear what someone else thinks. I'm leaning towards spending the extra money on the 700 b/c of its hard drive as well as the BT. I amy decide last minute to go with the 300, but right now I'm leaning towards the 700.

Laurence
11-02-2005, 05:33 PM
I know what you mean about the opinions... When I was looking into mine, I spend a while trying to get opinions from various people, only some of whom had them!

I didn't realise the 700 had a hard drive - clearly not reading carefully enough! That said, I'm not sure you'll really need one... I've got the entire UK map database, with speed cameras and whatnot, (a few) voices and possibly install files (can't remember - been a while!) on a single 128MB CF card. It took a little trimming to squeeze it onto that, but my point is that since it has a SD card slot (it does, doesn't it?), you'd potentially have 8 times that much storage available on a single card which costs £30. Basically, I don't know what you'd use the hard drive for!

DerekAbney
11-03-2005, 03:17 PM
True true. I really do appreciate your thoughts. It helps me sort out my own. I'm thinking right now that if I'm going to be spending this much money, I might as well spend a little extra in getting the 700 as opposed to the 300. But, I can definitely see you argument to the contrary. I'm gonna do some more research today.