View Full Version : Axim x51v VGA/WM5 questions

biglouis
10-26-2005, 08:01 AM
Anyone following my previous post will know I have now transferred successfully from an i-mate JAM to a new Dell Axim x51v.

Well almost. I can't quite tell whether certain display issues are related to the VGA display or WM5.

In some applications, although the page displays, half of it is missing off the right hand side of the screen. It is like the page does not know how to format itself for the screen. Is this a WM5 issue or a VGA screen issue? Is it solvable?

In one case I turned the screen orientation from portrait to landscape and at least I was able to enter the data (in this case a registration code).

My only disappointment so far is that the excellent today add-in Contact Breeze does not appear to work under WM5. According to the developer he is hurrying through and update.

On another point, with PDAs with VGA screens - especially nice big ones like the Dell - can you somehow adjust the resolution so you squeeze as much as possible onto the screen???? Otherwise, ahem, what is the point????

Also, what is the purpose of 'VGA Hacks' like the one is Tweaks2net. Are they dangerous???

Finally, would anyone be interested in my review of said machine after I have played with it for week?

TIA for any responses to these questions

LouisB

Darius Wey
10-26-2005, 11:08 AM
In some applications, although the page displays, half of it is missing off the right hand side of the screen. It is like the page does not know how to format itself for the screen. Is this a WM5 issue or a VGA screen issue? Is it solvable?

This shouldn't be happening. Could you please provide a list of applications doing this? There's a chance the version you're running (or even the application in its entirety) might not be compatible with Windows Mobile 5.0 or a VGA display.

My only disappointment so far is that the excellent today add-in Contact Breeze does not appear to work under WM5. According to the developer he is hurrying through and update.

Amit (the developer) never sleeps, so I'm sure that update is just around the corner. ;)

On another point, with PDAs with VGA screens - especially nice big ones like the Dell - can you somehow adjust the resolution so you squeeze as much as possible onto the screen???? Otherwise, ahem, what is the point????

Yes, you can push it to true-VGA. Not natively though. You will need an application such as SE_VGA or OzVGA. Now before you try them, I suggest you backup first since there's no guarantee they'll work in Windows Mobile 5.0. The last time I tried SE_VGA in Windows Mobile 5.0, it failed.

Also, what is the purpose of 'VGA Hacks' like the one is Tweaks2net. Are they dangerous???

So, if you decide to change your display to true-VGA, you may find that some applications fail to stretch from edge to edge of the screen (since the viewable area is now different). These so-called "VGA hacks" attempt to solve these issues.

Finally, would anyone be interested in my review of said machine after I have played with it for week?

If you have the time, I'm sure the readers will appreciate it. There are a number of X51v reviews floating around (on Pocket PC Thoughts and on other Windows Mobile websites), but the more, the merrier, since everyone's perception of a device varies. :)

biglouis
10-26-2005, 06:00 PM
Darius

Thanks for your input - your wisdom is always much appreciated!

Actaully, now that I've been through my apps again, there appears only to be one app which does not display correctly. That is the startup form in Visual IT Tube London Streets, v1.x. Once you get through to the display it works fine. I've sent them an e-mail and I'll post the response.

There are apps that will not run, at all on my Axim.

1. Mastersoft Sudoku - various SQL and other indecipherable errors. Actually this was pretty unstable on my i-mate JAM so no surprises there.

2. Sprite Backup - no surprises there as according to their website Sprite are working on a solution. Personally, I'll hang on because I like the product and I think they deserve my patience (for a few more weeks).

3. Contact Breeze - I agree about the developer and I will definitely stay loyal to this excellent, responsive software company!

Apart from that, about everything I want to carry over I have carried over.

Thank goodness my Runic Software, Pocket Solitaire Engine works which, let's face it, is the most important app on my PPC :D

Thanks again

LouisB

biglouis
10-27-2005, 01:03 PM
I solved all my display problems and improved the resolution just by upgrading to the latest version of Tweak2K2.net

When I ran it the first time it insisted on tweaking the VGA settings and instantly my display was clearer and appeared to be much high resolution than before.

It also fixed the form display problem in Tube.

Nurhisham Hussein
10-27-2005, 02:08 PM

So, if you decide to change your display to true-VGA, you may find that some applications fail to stretch from edge to edge of the screen (since the viewable area is now different). These so-called "VGA hacks" attempt to solve these issues.

Actually Darius, the VGA hack is intended to get around the pixel doubling feature the OS imposes on QVGA apps - it forces these programs to appear in 'true' VGA instead of the pixellated pseudo-VGA appearance it would otherwise have. You can actually do this manually as well.

Darius Wey
10-27-2005, 05:02 PM
Actually Darius, the VGA hack is intended to get around the pixel doubling feature the OS imposes on QVGA apps - it forces these programs to appear in 'true' VGA instead of the pixellated pseudo-VGA appearance it would otherwise have. You can actually do this manually as well.

Yes, that's correct. I was actually thinking of another VGA hack at the time (not the one included in Tweaks2K2 .NET and Spb Pocket PC Tips & Tricks). I forgot the name of it, but if I dig it up, I'll post it here.