View Full Version : iPod Nano screen scratches easily; lawsuit pending

signothefish
10-25-2005, 01:44 AM
Found this at CNN (http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/ptech/10/24/apple.nano.reut/index.html). Apple has been removing complaints from their website about iPod Nano screens being scratched so easily that they're not even recognizable after repeated usage. So now they have a class-action lawsuit on their hands.

"Rather than admit the design flaw when consumers began to express widespread complaints ... Apple concealed the defect and advised class members that they would need to purchase additional equipment to prevent the screen from scratching excessively," the complaint said.

Man, don't let these guys get hold of a Pocket PC! It would get so expensive because of lawsuits, that every company would get out of the business! I've seen many Pocket PC issues that were good candidates for lawsuits, but because not enough trendy spoiled rich kids adopted them for everyday use, it spared the Pocket PCs from extinction.

Patrick Y.
10-26-2005, 12:04 AM
Man, don't let these guys get hold of a Pocket PC! It would get so expensive because of lawsuits, that every company would get out of the business! I've seen many Pocket PC issues that were good candidates for lawsuits, but because not enough trendy spoiled rich kids adopted them for everyday use, it spared the Pocket PCs from extinction.

Are referring to me when you said "trendy spoiled rich kids"? :bad-words: oh well. :roll: Though, I worked really hard to earned the x50v from my parents. :wink:

And just a thought, I never like Apple's product. (no offense to iPOD/Mac owners) The Mac I use at school IS SOOOO slow and crashes often. I'm not surprised at all about the quality of Nano. :roll:

Sven Johannsen
10-26-2005, 02:38 AM
I wouldn't be so hard on Apple. They have always made some excellent and innovative products, and in the past their customer focus was exemplary. That used to come at a premium though, which cost them market share. Apples were always bashed for being too expensive. They have since abandoned the things that consumers apparently didn't value, quality and service. It's a shame too.

Your school PC is very likely old and in need of some maintenance. That happens to common use items. Nobody treats them like they paid for them themselves.

The PPC is no stranger to litigation either. HP has had it's share of suits against it. The first one I recall was about the color depth on the old Jornada. They advertised 16bit, and the OS and video chips were capable of it, but the screens they wound up with only supported 12bit color. Oh My God, the public was outraged and a class action suit was filed. HP offerred to buy back anyones Jornada that didn't want it for whatever reason. Purchase, tax and shipping refund. I think the lawyers made some money.

Patrick Y.
10-26-2005, 03:19 AM
Your school PC is very likely old and in need of some maintenance. That happens to common use items. Nobody treats them like they paid for them themselves.

nope. My school just bought them last year, with OSX installed. Almost brand-new and not even a scratch on them. Also, our computer and technology teachers maintain them occassionally throughout the school year.

biglouis
10-26-2005, 07:51 AM
So far, touch wood, my iPod nano has been fine. I did, however, by a screen protector and it is in a silicon sleve.

My only disappointment is that I do not seem to be able to get the 14 hours playback, I'm lucky if I get about 2! I will be taking this up with Apple this week and see what they have to say.

It is an incredibly convenient form factor and the interface could teach MS a thing or two about how to make navigation a lot easier.

LouisB

Darius Wey
10-26-2005, 10:53 AM
My only disappointment is that I do not seem to be able to get the 14 hours playback, I'm lucky if I get about 2! I will be taking this up with Apple this week and see what they have to say.

2 hours? Well, if you're certain that is working off a 100% battery charge, then it most certainly sounds like a defect and I'd look at getting it replaced.