View Full Version : Help: Import Certificate to connect to WiFi network

OSUKid7
10-23-2005, 09:57 PM
Hi. I've been trying for the past several weeks to connect my Pocket PC to my college's WiFi network. Unfortunately, I have yet to be successful because of the security on the APs. (And oh yeah, the IT department states that it's possible to connect PDAs to the network, but "There will be no support for PDAs from Information Technology at this time." :|)

To connect from a laptop/XP machine, I have to install/import a shared certificate (.crt) file to the Root Store. Then I have to configure my wireless properties to connect to the network with WPA/TKIP and PEAP, where it uses the installed trusted root certificate with EAP-MSCHAP v2 and fast reconnect enabled. Finally, I have to login using my college username/password.

Complected process to say the least. I'm glad they've enacted such a high security protocol, but it does make connecting my Pocket PC a little harder. As of now, I can't even get the .crt file imported. How would I do that in PPC2003SE? I've tried the three certificate-related apps in Start > Settings, which are Cert Enroll, Certificates, and (HP) Enroller. None seem to do the trick. I can't open the .crt file or anything.

I've also searched for this problem and tried several things, including this, (http://www.petri.co.il/adding_root_certificates_to_windows_mobile_2003_ppc.htm) which failed when running the SpAddCert program (it didn't recognize my .crt OR converted .cer files).

Any ideas? Almost all buildings on campus are 100% wirelessly covered, so it seems a waste not to start using that. Thanks.