View Full Version : Compatablity issues

Chris112
10-22-2005, 06:19 PM
I was wondering if there was ever compatability issues with a ppc and GPS software/hardware. I am totally new to everything (dont even own a ppc yet). But I am trying to do the research so I can get the best possible combo at a price I can afford. My main reason I want a PPC is for the GPS function, but I am also a computer geek that enjoys toys. So I am looking at the x51v for a PPC. Seems like the best unit for the price. I am just waiting for some new dell coupons to come out to lower the price.
This unit comes with bluetooth. Now my question is does a bluetooth gps unit come with the needed software (drivers, maps etc..)? Whats the chances of me buying bluetooth Gps to use with my ppc and finding out for some reason they dont get along and dont work. What seems to be the best working GPS software/hardware at this time? Bluetooth wise? Should I lean towards a wired GPS unit?

Thanks for the help!!!
In do time I will have enough knowledge to help other newbies. (i'm a quick learner)

Cybrid
10-26-2005, 08:08 AM
I was wondering if there was ever compatability issues with a ppc and GPS software/hardware. I am totally new to everything (dont even own a ppc yet). But I am trying to do the research so I can get the best possible combo at a price I can afford. My main reason I want a PPC is for the GPS function, but I am also a computer geek that enjoys toys. So I am looking at the x51v for a PPC. Seems like the best unit for the price. I am just waiting for some new dell coupons to come out to lower the price.
This unit comes with bluetooth. Now my question is does a bluetooth gps unit come with the needed software (drivers, maps etc..)? Whats the chances of me buying bluetooth Gps to use with my ppc and finding out for some reason they dont get along and dont work. What seems to be the best working GPS software/hardware at this time? Bluetooth wise? Should I lean towards a wired GPS unit?

Thanks for the help!!!
In do time I will have enough knowledge to help other newbies. (i'm a quick learner)It does happen. A member here Ripper014 cannot use his BT GPS with his Toshiba E-830 without an additional software, chances are slim but do exist. google may be your only option...find out what BT stack it uses and then research issues with that stack and specific BT GPS receivers. :|

Sven Johannsen
10-26-2005, 04:03 PM
Every BT GPS attempts to talk to the PPC over a BT Serial Profile. Once paired with a PPC, the PPC determines what comm port that incomming connection looks like. It is not a function of the BT receiver, but rather of the PPC. The two issues that have appeared in the past have been 1) the mapping software does not support the particular comm port the PPC assignes to the BT input, and 2) the combo manufacturer has arranged for their software to look for or provide a unique code from or to their own GPS unit, BT or otherwise, and the pieces wouldn't work except with each other. Neither of these are very common anymore.

Your only concern at this point might be that the X51v uses the MS BT stack. The X50v used Broadcom's, so telling you my X50v works with Delorme's Blue Logger and Socket's BT GPS, doesn't mean much. If you look for confirmation on a particular setup, pay attention to what BT implementation is involved.