View Full Version : o2 XDA Exec going back

SHC
10-21-2005, 01:33 PM
I have an xda exec (HTC Universal) that's going back tomorrow. Its such a schitzophrenic machine! It flatters to deceive. It is beatifully made and has a good screen, if slightly small. I love the keyboard and form factor. It works well as a phone too. I even like some of the new features of Windows Mobile 5. Got most of my software to work too.
However it is so sloooow. There is time to make a cup of tea if you change screen orientation. There is a very noticeable lag when you tap to open programmes. I thought I soft reset my 4700 a lot but I reset this 42 times in 2 days! I have yet to get the T9 keyboard to appear at all. I wonder if these problems relate to the o2 active software but I still have problems in basic mode.
Anyway I have to return it within 14 days to enable me to cancel the contract so back it goes. Such a shame I so wanted it to work.

martino
10-21-2005, 02:03 PM
Mine works fine, I just hate the thickness of it. You should have tried to format the device and return in to the default state.

SHC
10-21-2005, 03:48 PM
I did 2 hard resets, I may just have a "duff" unit but it has to go back within the 14 days or I'll be arguing with o2 about replacing it.

kaitanium
10-21-2005, 11:51 PM
vga screens do take a bit more time for the device to do its stuff

martino
10-22-2005, 12:34 AM
true, but they are great to look at!

SHC
10-26-2005, 02:02 PM
Well, took the XDA exec back and got a refund. Then read a post that blamed all the problems I had on the o2 Active software. Soooo....got another one and set it up using "corporate" settings which strips out all the o2 Active stuff. (you have to put in a pin - 0506 for those interested)
Lo and behold - it's like a totally different device. It hasnt crashed or needed or a soft reset once. It seems speedy too, at least as fast as my 4700. The screen rotation is now almost instant. And the only software I can't use so far is Repligo and Avantgo. I suppose they will be fixed soon.
Happy chappy again! (so far....)

martino
10-26-2005, 04:35 PM
that's good to hear, however my jasjar is being sold on ebay

SHC
10-26-2005, 05:54 PM
Oh - so whats wrong with yours?

martino
10-26-2005, 07:04 PM
nothin', works well...i just dont like it's size and i find the keyboard useless

MitchellO
10-30-2005, 08:03 AM
It amazes me how they ship their devices with software that makes the device crap. I have read the same sort of stories about the K-JAM (which I am waiting to receive), except it is the AV software they include. When its removed, there is no problem and the device runs great!!!

Congrats of fixing your problem though.

shivafool
10-30-2005, 10:26 PM
It IS amazing that they will load things that make it less functional. I read on another forum, and have now seen for myself, installing the freeware "smallmenu" makes my jasjar work faster for some reason. I don't know that anyone has come up with an explanation, but the guesses are that it gets in the way of some other program that was slowing things down. Anyway, it might be worth trying on the Exec as well. Cheers.

SHC
10-31-2005, 10:00 PM
Gone back again - part II.
Well it didnt last, it's gone back again. Too many soft resets, too many incompatable programmes - even those that are supposed to be WM5 ready. So its back to the 4700. Don't know if I'll upgrade to WM5 when it (if) it becomes available.

schwuk
11-01-2005, 03:32 PM
The only issue I've had with my Exec was the O2 Active UI, which I have disabled. Apart from that I have nothing but praise for mine.

Sorry both you experiences weren't as good.

davef
11-01-2005, 09:39 PM
And the only software I can't use so far is Repligo and Avantgo. I suppose they will be fixed soon.
Happy chappy again! (so far....)

RepliGo has just been fixed. Visit www.repligo.com to download the 2.5 version of the Viewer.