View Full Version : Is there software to make a regular PPC function as a mobile phone?

Jaie
10-20-2005, 10:37 PM
I am sure I used to know the answer to this but I'm in some kind of CRS brainfog lately :crazyeyes: , so I'm just going to have to ask: Is there a combination of software and hardware I can purchase so that I can use my iPAQ h2215 as a mobile phone?

It's time for a new phone, and I'd love to combine the two devices into one unit. It kind of looks like WebToGo Phone (http://www.webtogo.de/uk/page.asp?p=359) would do the trick on the software side. If that's so, would I need to contact my mobile phone service provider to find a CF card modem? I'm currently with Verizon but my contract is up so I can easily change carriers, if that matters.

Nurhisham Hussein
10-21-2005, 01:05 AM
I don't think any carriers will have the hardware - these cards are pretty hard to find on its own. The other thing is that I only know of GSM/GPRS cards available, so if you're on CDMA you're out of luck. Also considering the disadvantages - PDA needs to be on all the time to pick up calls, price, no passthrough to PDA speakers, price, need to use earphones connected directly to the card, price!@%#-I'm not sure its really worthwhile. You could try searching on expansys.com for 'GSM card' - though I wouldn't recommend buying from there.

BTW, Webtogo is meant mainly for a PDA/phone combo (I use it for that) - I don't think it works as a onboard phone controller. Strike that, I've just looked at it again, it might be able to do it at that. On the other hand, any harware you find will most likely have it's own software available.

ADBrown
10-21-2005, 09:40 AM
Such cards exist, but they're mostly ugly and unwieldy hacks. If you must have an integrated phone, it's best to buy a device designed for it.

natecorbitt
10-21-2005, 12:04 PM
If you are already with Verizon, I recommend the Samsung i730. Aside from a WiFi issue I had because I had too many things on the Today Screen, I have been very pleased with it. They are switching to WM5 in early 2006 as well, so you may want to wait. Although, I was told I would be able to bring my phone in for an upgrade when it becomes available.

Jaie
10-21-2005, 02:26 PM
Thanks all; you've confirmed what I (thought) I already knew. I'd started to doubt myself.