View Full Version : X50V or X51V

Sparkinman
10-16-2005, 12:10 AM
I currently have an ipaq2210, and have decided I'd like to upgrade. I'm not sure what the smarter thing to do is, get the refurb X50v for 339.00 from dell outlet, or get a new X51v for 389.00. I have software now, that I would like to continue using, and I'm a little worried about the power button problem on the X51v's. The Pro being more memory! Any Advice?

Patrick Y.
10-16-2005, 01:27 AM
What software do you want to continue to use? You should check out this: http://www.aximsite.com/boards/showthread.php?t=98578 and http://www.wm5fixsite.com/

As for the power button problem, I don't think it is very common. Besides, Dell is good at getting ROM updates out quickly. Anyway, you should get x51v if the above things work out for you.

Just a thought, you can get x51v for $305 NOW. So act quickly. :wink: http://www.slickdeals.net/#p6602

hope this helps.

Darius Wey
10-16-2005, 03:00 AM
I second the vote for the X51v. It really isn't all that different to the X50v - besides the extra ROM and Windows Mobile 5.0 by default (though X50v's will be upgradeable to the new OS sometime this month), it's roughly the same.

If you were an existing owner of an X50v, I would ask you to stick with it since there aren't really any compelling reasons to move from an X50v to an X51v. However, since you're a first-time buyer of an Axim, I'd suggest going straight for the X51v. As for software issues, a vast majority of applications are now compatible with Windows Mobile 5.0, and in cases where they aren't, a lot of companies and standalone developers are working double-time to ensure they will be (unless the software you use is extremely obscure). Patrick's links are worth visiting.

Sparkinman
10-16-2005, 03:28 AM
Another worry that I have is 802.11b vs 802.11g. Does either of these units support WPA encryption? I only ask because our internet guy locks everything with G, and I can't access it with my ambicom B card. I've also read about the battery life of the Dells' am and wondering how long the unit will last between charges.

Patrick Y.
10-16-2005, 03:33 AM
Another worry that I have is 802.11b vs 802.11g. Does either of these units support WPA encryption? I only ask because our internet guy locks everything with G, and I can't access it with my ambicom B card. I've also read about the battery life of the Dells' am and wondering how long the unit will last between charges.

I don't really know anything about thw wireless, but I believe x50v supports WPA. Also, the battery life is quite good with WM 5. Lasts around 3-4 hours. :wink:

Darius Wey
10-16-2005, 03:44 AM
Another worry that I have is 802.11b vs 802.11g. Does either of these units support WPA encryption? I only ask because our internet guy locks everything with G, and I can't access it with my ambicom B card.

Neither of the two devices feature 802.11g. Instead, it has 802.11b. WPA encryption is supported in both.

Sparkinman
10-16-2005, 05:04 AM
There are 2 reasons I ask... The first is that I don't wan't to get burned like I did with the 2215, the next is I don't want to be lacking in wifi when everything is moving towards 802.11g anyway..... the pocket loox N series is already moving that way.

Darius Wey
10-16-2005, 05:20 AM
There are 2 reasons I ask... The first is that I don't wan't to get burned like I did with the 2215, the next is I don't want to be lacking in wifi when everything is moving towards 802.11g anyway..... the pocket loox N series is already moving that way.

Welcome to the world of technology. Today's device is tomorrow's paperweight, and it will always remain that way. We'll always be playing catch-up.

Having said that, Dell has a much better track record than HP when it comes to updates and all. I'm adamant that you will value a brand new X51v more than you will an hx4700, but that's purely subjective. While 802.11g might be the wireless standard to get these days, I'd question how much you would use it. In most cases than not, your internet won't feel any faster. The most you'd gain out of 11g would be faster file transfers, and I've still yet to check up on this, but the Windows Mobile 5.0 OS might still have a bottleneck on data speeds.

Jason Dunn
10-16-2005, 05:50 AM
The most you'd gain out of 11g would be faster file transfers, and I've still yet to check up on this, but the Windows Mobile 5.0 OS might still have a bottleneck on data speeds.

I haven't tested this of course, but I'm 99% sure that no Pocket PC can sustain throughput of 1.38 MB/s, which is what the theoretical maximum of 802.11b is. So the jump to G is largely meaningless from a speed perspective.

Sparkinman
10-16-2005, 02:05 PM
After looking through the links of working software, I'm a little disapointed! I see quite a few programs I use not listed as working especially chapura pocket mirror. Looks like I if I get the X51v, I may not want to get rid of the ipaq for awhile!

Duncan
10-16-2005, 05:06 PM
The most you'd gain out of 11g would be faster file transfers, and I've still yet to check up on this, but the Windows Mobile 5.0 OS might still have a bottleneck on data speeds.

I haven't tested this of course, but I'm 99% sure that no Pocket PC can sustain throughput of 1.38 MB/s, which is what the theoretical maximum of 802.11b is. So the jump to G is largely meaningless from a speed perspective.

Indeed. I'm told the move to 'G' has been done for the lower power requirements and improved compatabilty - not the speed.

Darius Wey
10-16-2005, 05:10 PM
Indeed. I'm told the move to 'G' has been done for the lower power requirements and improved compatabilty - not the speed.

That's what I've heard too. And based on a few reports I've seen lying around, it looks like that bottleneck in speed might still be in place.

Menneisyys
10-16-2005, 05:41 PM
Having said that, Dell has a much better track record than HP when it comes to updates and all. I'm adamant that you will value a brand new X51v more than you will an hx4700, but that's purely subjective. While 802.11g might be the wireless standard to get these days, I'd question how much you would use it. In most cases than not, your internet won't feel any faster. The most you'd gain out of 11g would be faster file transfers, and I've still yet to check up on this, but the Windows Mobile 5.0 OS might still have a bottleneck on data speeds.

The TomsHardware test (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=35287) of the Linksys WCF54G Wireless-G Compact Flash Card produced, according to the Tom's tests, clearly better results than b cards even in a slowish iPAQ 2210.

Furthermore, another advantage of a g module, as opposed to b (excerpt from the article): "11g for PocketPC's isn't so much a matter of faster network access for the handheld devices themselves, but more a matter of not slowing things down for speedier WLAN users, due to the 11b protection mechanism built into 802.11g."

Patrick Y.
10-16-2005, 05:57 PM
After looking through the links of working software, I'm a little disapointed! I see quite a few programs I use not listed as working especially chapura pocket mirror. Looks like I if I get the X51v, I may not want to get rid of the ipaq for awhile!

You know, I scroll through the list and chapura pocket mirror is not on the working list OR non-working list. Therefore, it doesn't really mean that it won't work with WM 5. It just means that no one has tested the software yet. Anyway, try to find an owner of x51v to test it out for you.

Edit: OOPS :oops: It is actually not compatible with WM 5. Sorry. :oops: http://www.wm5fixsite.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=59&Itemid=1

Darius Wey
10-17-2005, 03:24 AM
The TomsHardware test (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=35287) of the Linksys WCF54G Wireless-G Compact Flash Card produced, according to the Tom's tests, clearly better results than b cards even in a slowish iPAQ 2210.

Furthermore, another advantage of a g module, as opposed to b (excerpt from the article): "11g for PocketPC's isn't so much a matter of faster network access for the handheld devices themselves, but more a matter of not slowing things down for speedier WLAN users, due to the 11b protection mechanism built into 802.11g."

Ah, yes, I recall that article. I guess I'm still on the lookout for an article which compares integrated 11b and 11g solutions. If you find one, let us know. :)

Chris112
10-22-2005, 06:25 PM
Just a thought, you can get x51v for $305 NOW. So act quickly. :wink: http://www.slickdeals.net/#p6602

hope this helps.

I guess that deal expired now.. :cry:

kiwiruss
10-24-2005, 09:18 PM
Im upgrading from my Ipaq 5455 wm2003 device to an Axim 51V. It should arrive this week :-)

I expect the odd issue with apps not supported yet but on the whole Im druling for the VGA device thats the best deal out there. Got mine for $329 delivered !

Patrick Y.
10-25-2005, 12:07 AM
Im upgrading from my Ipaq 5455 wm2003 device to an Axim 51V. It should arrive this week :-)

I expect the odd issue with apps not supported yet but on the whole Im druling for the VGA device thats the best deal out there. Got mine for $329 delivered !

Enjoy your new axim! 8) :wink: