View Full Version : Is that a brick in your pocket or are you just pleased to see me?

biglouis
10-15-2005, 04:42 PM
Passing my local T-mobile shop yesterday, what did I spy but the new MDA Pro (JasJar/HTC thingy) in the window?

Now, at present I am in a state of flux. I really want wifi but I'm loathe to give up my i-mate JAM which never fails to amaze me each time I pull it out of my holster and use it.

So, I thought I'd check it out. The very nice assistant got the device out of the case and gave it to me for a once over.

Whoah!!!!!!

This thing weighs an absolute ton. And I'm not just making a comparison with my i-mate JAM. I covet my bosses HP hx4700 not just because of its kick-ass screen but because when you pick it up, it always feels lighter than you expect. Not so with the MDA Pro. The thing positively screams 'heavy'.

I know loads of people who own them are going to protest how wonderful they are but c'mon. This is a serious non-starter in the weight department. I can't imagine what they were thinking and I can't work out what makes it so heavy?

The screen section is thin, so that can't be it. The internal components can't be that large because they are not disimilar from the guts of a XDA or the like. Is it the keyboard???? In which case what a completely stoopid design decision. Is it the battery???

OK, flame me, but what ever you do, don't make me pick one up again. :D

LouisB

Jason Dunn
10-15-2005, 05:49 PM
This thing weighs an absolute ton. And I'm not just making a comparison with my i-mate JAM. I covet my bosses HP hx4700 not just because of its kick-a$$ screen but because when you pick it up, it always feels lighter than you expect. Not so with the MDA Pro. The thing positively screams 'heavy'.

It's a combination of a few things - the large battery being one of them - but the main reason is the metal case. It's not plastic like most Pocket PCs, and that adds serious weight. The JasJar is a laptop replacement moreso than a PDA.

Sven Johannsen
10-17-2005, 02:18 AM
Passing my local T-mobile shop yesterday, what did I spy but the new MDA Pro (JasJar/HTC thingy) in the window?

OK, where are you that they have it on display?

biglouis
10-17-2005, 01:09 PM
Where am I where I saw it on display?

Camden High Street, North London, England

LouisB

unikronn
10-17-2005, 02:14 PM
i was walking (with my girlfriend) in oxford street yesterday and walked into a o2 shop and a orange phone shop, i also had a go on the o2 exec 8O.......ok its too big and thats coming from someone who owns a qtek 2020i.

if it was just a tablet pda that would be fine but it is suppose to be a phone as well, i know people will say you blue tooth or headphones BUT most of the time shouldn't have to.

biglouis im with you.....i wanted this device but i tried putting it in my pocket and i could not sit down (and i can sit down with my qtek 2020i or my girlfriends spv m500 in mt pocket)

i will wait for a similar product but with a form factor of a htc alpine

Darius Wey
10-17-2005, 02:17 PM
I had a bit of a chuckle at this. Sven, I'm guessing you thought the Universal had made its way over to T-Mobile USA? :)