View Full Version : Simple guide on ActiveSync via Wifi please?

emfung
10-15-2005, 03:57 PM
Hi guys, im a real damned n00bie in wireless technology. I've been using Bluetooth to wirelessly connect my iPAQ rx3715 to my laptop for ActiveSync and Internet(via ActiveSync). I heard this possible to use WiFi instead of Bluetooth for this purpose. I can then spare the Bluetooth for my headset (for skyping).

So far, my WiFi is only used for Internet in hotspot area. I don't have a network access point at home coz I only have 1 PC + my new pocketpc (just don't feel it's cost effective to have a network just for these 2 lone machine).

I've read some articles & forum thread about setting up ad-hoc connection & and using a PC as an access point. But I don't quite understand how to do it.

Can anybody out there gives me a simple step-by-step guide on doing this?
I'm using WindowsXP Pro SP2 and WindowsMobile 2003SE.

Thank you very much.

Hrun
10-15-2005, 10:43 PM
Okay, I have been in a similar situation.

Yesterday
I had a desktop computer connected to an asdl modem via USB. This connected vis an adhoc wifi connection to a laptop and both could use the net. I never managed to get my 3715 to connect to this adhoc connection although I could connect no probs via bluetooth.

Today I have bought a wireless router/modem for £50 and have all three connected to the net via wifi.

Good luck but I think the adhoc wifi could be optimistic.

Giles

Darius Wey
10-16-2005, 03:17 AM
Try reading a post I made over a year ago and see if it's of any help: http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=285891#285891

Also, ensure you're not using ActiveSync 4.0 since Wi-Fi synchronisation was scrapped.

Sven Johannsen
10-17-2005, 12:34 AM
Hi guys, im a real damned n00bie in wireless technology. I've been using Bluetooth to wirelessly connect my iPAQ rx3715 to my laptop for ActiveSync and Internet(via ActiveSync). I heard this possible to use WiFi instead of Bluetooth for this purpose. I can then spare the Bluetooth for my headset (for skyping).

Check your other question. To sumarize, you aren't going to get a BT Headset to work with your 3715 anyway.

But, for reference, you can have multiple BT connections going at the same time. You could be connected via AS, have a BT keyboard and Mouse attached and be connected via a headset (if the 3715 supported that). You should be able to have 7 things going, but usually only one on a particular profile at a time.

emfung
10-17-2005, 09:58 AM
Check your other question. To sumarize, you aren't going to get a BT Headset to work with your 3715 anyway.

But, for reference, you can have multiple BT connections going at the same time. You could be connected via AS, have a BT keyboard and Mouse attached and be connected via a headset (if the 3715 supported that). You should be able to have 7 things going, but usually only one on a particular profile at a time.

I use my BT headset for skyping, it's with my laptop Skype software.

U meant, while my laptop BT is being used with my headset, it can still be connected to my PocketPC at the same time for active sync and Intenet? I don't know about this, thank you so much for the information.

By the way, I still can't get an activesync connection using wifi ad-hoc, even after reading various discussions. I'm giving up and will buy an access point.

Thank you for you guys' help anyway. I appreciate that very much.

Sven Johannsen
10-17-2005, 04:02 PM
By the way, I still can't get an activesync connection using wifi ad-hoc, even after reading various discussions. I'm giving up and will buy an access point.

Trying to get AdHoc to work is generally a PITA. It is possible, but the cost of the AP/router is worth the frustration relief.

Note that I said AP/ROUTER. What you will want to do is connect your internet connection to the new box and then connect your laptop, cabled or wireless, to the new box. The AP/Router will take care of assigned local IPs and doing the translation. The PPC will connect to the AP/router via WiFi of course.

When you do this, do come back and aks some questions about security setup. The manufacturers documents aren't always very clear on that. The default setup is designed to be almost foolproof, but with no security at all in most cases. Not considering security is like running a cat 5 cable from your ISP connection to the curb with a big sign, FREE, on it.

emfung
10-17-2005, 06:48 PM
I'll try to do as what u recommended when I get my router in the next few days. Thank you so much for the info.