View Full Version : Removing pre-installed programs?

natecorbitt
10-11-2005, 05:01 PM
Is there a way to remove unwanted programs from the Pocket PC that came already installed? For instance, I never use Picsel Browser, so I would like to remove that to free up some space, however, there is no option in the Remove Programs section. Any thoughts?

Sven Johannsen
10-11-2005, 05:41 PM
That's not an option. The pre-'installed' programs are in the portion of ROM that you don't have access too. That is even the case with WM5 when the ROM almost seems to be one contiguous space. Typically this question always receives the comment that you wouldn't get any memory back anyway since it is not in user accessible space. It would seem though that with the new memory architecture that could be changed. I don't think that will happen though, because there still needs to be the ability to hard reset the device and have it come back factory fresh, requiring all the initial programs to be restored.

Maybe some day we will get a restore CD with the devices, so we can blow away built in apps recovering space and load our own, but still be able to get back to square one, but not now.

You can of course delete the shortcut out of the Start Menu directory and pretend it is gone ;)

natecorbitt
10-11-2005, 06:20 PM
Thanks. I hadn't thought about the hard reset stuff. I guess it makes sense.