View Full Version : AS 4 Connection Error on StartUp - BT Widcomm 4 - help needed

Jorlin
10-11-2005, 03:28 AM
Hello!

I have a new laptop computer and I installed AS 4 today. In addition I set up a BT connection using the latest Widcomm software (4.x).
This connection works flawlessly. But unfortunately I always get an error message on WinXP startup saying:
MS AS cannot open the COM port. To try setting up the connection again, click OK and follow the on-screen instructions.

After that AS opens up that crapy connection wizard that never actually works but telling you which port ist available.

The connection works. But I alwasy get this conncetion error on start up. How can I get rid of it?

Thanks in advance!

Darius Wey
10-11-2005, 04:01 AM
Do you have a Fn-key combination on your laptop that enables/disables networking functionality? That key combo tends to disable the Bluetooth-tied COM port, thus bringing about that error message which you constantly see. If you tend to start up your laptop on battery power with wireless technologies disabled, then that could also be the cause of all your problems.

Try managing your power profiles to have Bluetooth on by default whether on battery power or AC.

Jorlin
10-11-2005, 05:11 AM
Well, this sounds as if it is the problem... BT is not enabled on startup.

Anyway, on my privious laptop this worked without any problems. Is there a way to force AS not to look for the connection port? Or to have the port but without BT enabled (so the conncection cannot be established but the port is virtually there)?

Because what I can do, is not to change the port (because AS is asking for that since it is not there). When I start BT then for syncing etc. I can use that assigned port without problems...

Darius Wey
10-11-2005, 11:10 AM
You can open up Connection Settings in ActiveSync (File > Connection Settings...), and uncheck the box labelled "Allow connections to one of the following". Next time you start up your computer, you shouldn't be prompted with that same message again.

And in the future, if you ever need to sync via Bluetooth, you only need to check the box. Uncheck it again when finished.