View Full Version : Change default program for opening files

Glint
10-09-2005, 11:09 AM
Hi all. How do I change the default program for opening a particular type of file (excel files - to be opened by PlanMaker)?

Thanks for any responses,

Glint

Darius Wey
10-09-2005, 11:36 AM
You can manually edit the registry, though things tend to get messy that way.

An application such as GSFinder+ (http://page.freett.com/todamitsu/GSFinderE.htm) may be easier to use. It acts as an advanced file explorer with support for modifying file associations.

Glint
10-09-2005, 11:45 AM
Thanks Darius.

Glint
10-09-2005, 01:03 PM
Someone on aximsite mentioned that resco explorer could change the default program - I feel a bit dim - I have resco explorer, and it did the trick (extremely easily!).

Darius Wey
10-09-2005, 02:36 PM
Someone on aximsite mentioned that resco explorer could change the default program - I feel a bit dim - I have resco explorer, and it did the trick (extremely easily!).

Yeah, it's a neat feature to have. GSFinder+ simply offers a free alternative, but if you already have a licensed copy of Resco Explorer, then your options are in the bag. :) Glad to see you've got things sorted.

JonMisurda
10-09-2005, 07:16 PM
Also, if you don't want to permanantly change a file type but would like to open it with a different program, I've written an freeware "Open With..." extension that shows up when you tap and hold a file in File Explorer. You can download it at my website: http://www.cs.pitt.edu/~jmisurda/ppc/openwith/openwith.htm

It remembers any programs you have used in the past to open a specific extension with. For instance on JPEGs (.jpg) you could open it in PIE, the picture applet, Resco PhotoView, and Conduits, and leave the association with the picture applet. When you select open with for jpgs, you have a dropdown list to pick any previously used application from.

Just another option.

Jon

PiPod
10-10-2005, 10:35 PM
can't you just right click and select 'Properties', then click the button that says "open with" ?

JonMisurda
10-11-2005, 05:11 AM
Not in the built in file explorer (fexplore.exe) I believe you can do it through resco, but mine is a free extension to the shell. It also shows up in the open dialogs of Word and the like.

Or did I misunderstand you?

Jon

PetiteFlower
10-11-2005, 05:19 AM
can't you just right click and select 'Properties', then click the button that says "open with" ?

What is this "right click" of which you speak, and how do you do it with a stylus?

:twisted:

rhmorrison
10-11-2005, 08:51 AM
What is this "right click" of which you speak, and how do you do it with a stylus?
To "right click" you press and HOLD with the stylus to bring up the context sensative menu (which is what a right click in Windows does for most programs).

PetiteFlower
10-11-2005, 12:42 PM
Well yeah, but on a PDA, when you tap and hold and select properties, there is no "open with" option. At least not in the built in file explorer. That was my point.

SoftMaker
10-11-2005, 02:46 PM
Hi all. How do I change the default program for opening a particular type of file (excel files - to be opened by PlanMaker)?

Thanks for any responses,

Glint
For PlanMaker and TextMaker, the easiest is to re-run our setup program and check the option "Associate with .XLS files" or "Associate with .DOC files", respectively.

Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

cec
10-11-2005, 07:22 PM
Well yeah, but on a PDA, when you tap and hold and select properties, there is no "open with" option. At least not in the built in file explorer. That was my point.

Resco does a good job with this. It keeps track of the programs you have used to open a particular file type and lists them when you tap that file in the future. Also, you can configure Resco to launch a specific program with a single tap. Very convenient.