View Full Version : Sms on Pocket PC

BTS
10-08-2005, 11:38 PM
Hello! In my quest to be constantly in touch I had purchased a Treo 600 a few months back. It's a nice device but that low res screen and the lack of Windows Mobile has finally got to me.

I'm thinking or purchasing a 2400 series iPaq. I know that it comes with bluetooth and Wi-Fi. Currently, with my Treo, I get an SMS message each time I receive an e-mail from my provider (it's through Visto on Rogers). This even works with a regular cell phone.

Is there a program for Windows Mobile that will allow me to write and receive SMS messages on my Pocket PC by connecting with a bluetooth phone? Is it possible for the Pocket PC to poll the phone every few minutes to see if an SMS message has come through? I would like to read the text message, reply to text messages, and get my e-mail all with the Pocket PC and simply have the phone as the device that connects.

Thanks for your help!

hiatus
10-09-2005, 02:05 AM
I too was searching for something like this on my pocket pc for a while, there are a few like SMS manager, SMS extension, monkey messenger and I forgot another popular one, but as I know, they allow you to download all SMS from your phone, and send SMS on a pocket pc using bluetooth. I dont think i see any of them can constantly monitor the phone for SMS though.

And all the programs I have tried so far works with infrared for my phone, but they don't support my Nokia 6600 symbian phone for bluetooth....so ......

hope to give you so idea.

AKAJohnDoe
10-09-2005, 03:22 AM
See if SimpleSMS works for you.

http://www.visualit.co.uk/PocketPC/simplesms.htm

jlp
10-09-2005, 07:15 AM
I've been using a great an simple freeware for this for quite a while now.

it's easySMS by www.Siedler-net.de It works fine with IrDA, but should work with BT as well as you can change the com port with many options; tho I haven't tried with BT as my old Axim only has IrDA.

You can send long SMS up to 760 chars and retrieve your SMS from the phone memory. You probably can't poll the phone automatically, but since you will hear your phone ringing when it gets a phone it's not a problem. You can manually retrieve your phone memory SMS's or automatically after sending. Finally you can optionally delete the received messages in the phone memory after receiving them.

hamishmacdonald
10-09-2005, 02:12 PM
What bugs me is that I used to do this with my Pocket PC and a Sony-Ericsson mobile phone. Now I've got a Windows Mobile device and a Smartphone (Orange c500), and they won't talk to each other. That's just fried.

BTS
10-09-2005, 05:23 PM
Thanks for the replies, everyone! I was trying to decide between the iPAQ 2400 series and a iPAQ 6320. In Calgary they are both the same price.

I know the 6320 is slower but does anyone know if many of the problems were corrected by a ROM update? Which way should I go?

Our choice in Canada is a bit limited price wise. Sure, I can get a Jasjar but at 1250 bucks from expansys? My wife would kill me and then divorce me!

:mrgreen:

I must say, though, how much I miss WM. Time for that low res Treo to go!

Menneisyys
10-09-2005, 06:24 PM
Thanks for the replies, everyone! I was trying to decide between the iPAQ 2400 series and a iPAQ 6320. In Calgary they are both the same price.

I know the 6320 is slower but does anyone know if many of the problems were corrected by a ROM update? Which way should I go?

Our choice in Canada is a bit limited price wise. Sure, I can get a Jasjar but at 1250 bucks from expansys? My wife would kill me and then divorce me!

:mrgreen:

I must say, though, how much I miss WM. Time for that low res Treo to go!

Well, personally, I'd get the hx24xx. The h63xx has several bugs even after the ROM upgrade and will not even receive the SE upgrade, let alone WM5.

As far as the subject of the topic is concerned, you may want to chec out http://pocketpcmag.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=17757

BTS
10-09-2005, 07:08 PM
Thanks for the advice! I was leaning toward the 2400 and I think I can live without a convergence device. As long as the 2400 can give me 4 hours of mp3/reader/video watching on a plane then I'm in business!