View Full Version : Samsung i730 To Get WM5, Verizon To Get Apache?

Janak Parekh
10-08-2005, 04:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000017062274/' target='_blank'>http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000017062274/</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Not that we’d be terribly surprised by the development, but from what appears to be a leaked Verizon presentation (though we don’t have any way of truly verifying this, even though it looks pretty legit) it looks like all you i730 owners out there no longer need worry about what happens to your device’s OS: yes, you should be getting a Windows Mobile 5.0 upgrade for the thing next year. Other interesting bits: this document confirms...their intentions to carry the HTC Apache (aka Sprint PPC-6700) under the name XV6700..."</i><br /><br />I have no idea of the veracity of this, but I remain hopeful this is the case. I really want a EVDO-capable Pocket PC Phone, but I'm holding off in hopes of getting a Verizon solution with WM5. If I find out anything official I'll be sure to let you know. :)

netboy
10-08-2005, 08:26 PM
just give me a EVDO pocketpc phone with VGA screen, and i be really happy! it' so much easier and better to surf web on VGA (dell x50v) then with this old junk/outdated QVGA screen

goofy166
10-08-2005, 10:04 PM
This is fantastic news. I traded my Sprint iPAQ 6315 for a Verizon i730 and I am super pleased with the decision. The EVDO is absolutely stunning, I can finally surf like on a desktop. Sure the screen is a lot smaller but it still crams all the important stuff and saves on battery life. My only complaint is there is not enough memory - I am constanty have to close programs to get it back. The bluetooth syncs beautifully with my Infinity's dashboard and the wifi works great. But you got to use EVDO to really discover that one day we might not need a desktop computer anymore.

MG
10-08-2005, 11:46 PM
just give me a EVDO pocketpc phone with VGA screen, and i be really happy! it' so much easier and better to surf web on VGA (dell x50v) then with this old junk/outdated QVGA screen

I think your asking for an unobtainable goal. The reason for putting QVGA on these pdaphones is form factor. My numbers might be off slightly but you CANNOT put a VGA 640X420 screen on a phone "handset" because it will be way too big. For example, the HTC Universal is HUGE! Holding one to your head to talk is like holding a "frozen waffle" to your head. The QVGA spec 320X240 affords mfgs the opportunity to retain the "handset" feel of todays pdaphones. This category can be no bigger than the "Treo class" phone. Hence the Samsung i730 and the HTC Wizard/Apache. Both are QVGA. If you tried to put a VGA pixel count into that size screen you could not read the text without a magnifying glass.

Now if size does not concern you, a CDMA HTC Universal is for you.

Mark

Bob Anderson
10-09-2005, 12:26 AM
OK this is very good news! I'm inching closer to pulling the trigger on the i730; if they would allow the Bluetooth DUN profile so that I could use it with the laptop and ditch the Sierra Wireless Aircard I'm currently using, we'd have a done deal!

But, in Verizon's favor... I will say I'm pretty happy that it appears an upgrade will occur, which is one of the reasons I've been holding off. I'm not going to spend that much on an already "outdated" o/s.

MG
10-09-2005, 12:48 AM
OK this is very good news! I'm inching closer to pulling the trigger on the i730; if they would allow the Bluetooth DUN profile so that I could use it with the laptop and ditch the Sierra Wireless Aircard I'm currently using, we'd have a done deal!

But, in Verizon's favor... I will say I'm pretty happy that it appears an upgrade will occur, which is one of the reasons I've been holding off. I'm not going to spend that much on an already "outdated" o/s.

Hacked, Stacked and Racked! These guys can do what you are asking.

Check them out....

http://pdaphonehome.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&amp;threadid=50453

Mark

goofy166
10-09-2005, 02:47 AM
Wow awesome link for the i730 hacks!
One thing I could not find is how to remove the Piscel Browser to free up memory. And the remote control. None of those show up in Remove Programs. The link about moving the cache is neat.