View Full Version : iPAQ 2215 and bluetooth headset HID

Don Tolson
10-06-2005, 08:24 PM
Does anyone know if the Bluetooth updates available from HP provide the headset HID?

I have an iPAQ 2215 that required a hard reset (back to ROM 1.1), and I can't remember now if any of the Bluetooth updates provided for linking to a headset to show up under Bluetooth Manager.

Thanks.

/drt

Sven Johannsen
10-07-2005, 03:14 PM
None of the 2215 updates add a BT headset profile. (HID is Human Interface Device, which is a different profile.

This Brighthand thread indicates the reg hacks required to expose the headset profile on a 2215 http://discussion.brighthand.com/showthread.php?threadid=85322

Note that this works because the 2215 has the profile loaded, just turned off by default. This hack doesn't work on everything that doesn't show a headset profile. The BT headphones that HP sells come with a BT update that adds headphone and HID support, but that is different than headset.

Don Tolson
10-07-2005, 06:02 PM
Thanks, Sven.. I'm reviewing a new BT stereo headset and wanted to try it on my old 2215 to see if it would work.

I'll get 'hacking'.

Sven Johannsen
10-07-2005, 07:36 PM
If it is stereo then it likely uses the A2DP profile (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile). This doesn't need a hack, but the updated drivers from HP. The hack is for headsets, i.e mono audio and mic.

If the device does both, like some of the i-Tech products, then you need both the headset and headphone/stereo/A2DP profiles, and they pair seperately.

In my limited world view, headset usually connotes mono and mic and headphone indicates stereo, usually no mic.