View Full Version : wireless internet, how??

oilisab
10-05-2005, 08:21 PM
How do you guys connect wireless to the internet??
I have treid reading a few tutorials but i just dont get it.

When im at home, I go to the 12th floor of my building turn on
WiFi and it founds different wireless signals taht want to connect to my
axim.

When it asks what do you want to do i always select connect to teh internet.
But it doesnt work, then i go to the wlan utility and it says poor signal but the wireless icon next to the clock is moving but if i go IE I always get the msg cannot connect with current connection settings, and my Conecction settings both of my connections says "This network connects to the internet".

Any clues how can i fix it so i can surf the web? Do i need a better signal and thats it or i need to do something else?

ziggurat29
10-06-2005, 01:24 AM
I'm not familiar with the axim, but if you go to whatever you use to configure your wireless (maybe thour wlan utility) you should be able to find a list of access points you can use. The unit should seek out the best signal, though. You mention your signal is poor.

If it's not your router, then they may have used WEP and you can't use that access point without the WEP key. You can try a different access point that might not have WEP turned out. It's still pretty common since a lot of folks just plug their router in. Be nice.

kaitanium
10-11-2005, 08:18 PM
if the connection icon is moving, then you DONT have a connection yet. if it finds a connection with a password protection it will ask you for a password. if not then it will automatically connect and the icon will stop moving. most networks should be protected preventing guys like you (and me :D ) from getting free access. you can check if they are protected by clicking on the signal bar icon in the bottom right of the today screen (provided you have a axim x50, other programs are similar). a protected network will have a lock next to it.

just make sure the icon ISNT moving. and that it is stuck with the circle thingy and the two arrows.

Cybrid
10-13-2005, 07:31 AM
How do you guys connect wireless to the internet??
I have treid reading a few tutorials but i just dont get it.

When im at home, I go to the 12th floor of my building turn on
WiFi and it founds different wireless signals taht want to connect to my
axim.

When it asks what do you want to do i always select connect to teh internet.
But it doesnt work, then i go to the wlan utility and it says poor signal but the wireless icon next to the clock is moving but if i go IE I always get the msg cannot connect with current connection settings, and my Conecction settings both of my connections says "This network connects to the internet".

Any clues how can i fix it so i can surf the web? Do i need a better signal and thats it or i need to do something else?
http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=42626

Take a look at this thread

OneAngryDwarf
10-20-2005, 12:56 AM
First of all, they have to be your Wi-Fi connections... if they are not, they are more than likely protected from outside users (namely you :) )... I didn't see you confirm that they are yours so I just wanted to post that to keep you from unnecessarily wasting time.