View Full Version : Removing items from "Settings"? (Control Panel). Can it be done?

theterranaut
10-04-2005, 11:35 AM
Hi there, I've posted a similar question elsewhere. I'm hoping you developers can help

I have a Windows Mobile Phone Edition device: HP Ipaq 6340. OS version is 4.20.0.3 (Windows Mobile 2003)

I'd like to disable some features on the device: control panel applications. For example, hide the "Bluetooth" icon.

Removing application shortcuts is easy: I can remove entries we don't want from the "Start Menu" folder. But the Control Panel seems to act in unexpected ways.

I've had a look through the registry, and there seem to be some entries that look appropriate, mostly under HK_LM.
Removing or changing them seems to have odd effects, though- ie, if I remove the "Backlight" key from "ControlPanel" in HK_LOCAL_MACHINE, then soft reset the device, 2 Backlight items appear in the Settings Panel post-reset.

Does anyone know how I can achieve this?

Cheers!

hjgode
10-06-2005, 11:36 AM
Hello

you can create a new empty REG_SZ named 'Redirect' below every ControlPanel item below the registry key HKLM\ControlPanel\. In example, to disable the Password applet create a new empty REG_SZ key named "Redirect" below HKLM\ControlPanel\Password or create a reg file with following contents:
=========
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ControlPanel\Password]
"Group"=dword:00000000
"Redirect"=""
=========
and import this into the device registry (use PHM registry editor or Tascal RegEdit or other WinCE reg editor).
You cannot disable some items (tested Today did not work)

Helps?
:?:

theterranaut
10-06-2005, 11:57 AM
Thanks- that seems to work. What I actually did was:

-Copied the redirect key from "Backlight".
-Pasted it under "Password"

This seems to have had the effect of removing the Password entry completely, which was what I was after!

Many thanks for this-

theterranaut
10-06-2005, 03:55 PM
Update:

Each key needs a value like the following:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ControlPanel\Password]
"Group"=dword:00000000
"Redirect"=""

(obviously "Password" is particular to Password)

and the dword value changed to a suitable one;
either 00000000, 00000001, 00000002 or 00000003.

For example, Today can be hidden by using a dword of 00000003. Which I am assuming is a non-existent tab in Settings. I suppose the dword value corresponds to the tab the entry should appear in in Settings.

Thanks again-