View Full Version : 'PUSH' email for Windows Mobile 5

shinysteve
09-30-2005, 09:55 PM
There was a discusion back in April about push mail. I havent read it all but i'm pretty certain no-one would have had any definitive info about WM5.
I know there's some exchange support for push but i'm more interested in whether they've implemented IMAP IDLE functionality into the mail client. I cant find any info on it anywhere and am wondering if anyone has tested this out?

WebIS mail doesnt support it and i'm not aware of any other decent mail clients that might have done it.

Series 60 (symbian) has had it implemented for a year now and it seems like a damn sensible option for a WM5 machine connected to the net over GPRS.

I have a network related question to all this too.
If you're GPRS/3G connected to the internet, what happens when you loose GPRS. Do all your applications lose their sockets and reset their TCP sessions? If so, IMAP IDLE wont be any good. If, however, an application can go into standby while the GPRS connection is lost, the IMAP IDLE will still be valid and will continue to work. Any mobile networking gurus out there able to answer that one?

And finally, is push email really so great? In the real world, I have only ever needed instant mail a few times, and all of those times its been when i've been on the phone and someone has sent me an email 'live'. In that case, i'm happy to just hit the refresh button. Can anyone here honestly say that they've got an advantage through push mail? Is life so fast that we cant wait 10 minutes to check for emails? (And i'm assuming the cost of a IMAP update in bytes is LOW enough not to have to worry about the cost.)

Cheers
Steve