View Full Version : Could someone create a big table of all existing PPC (and Smartphones)?

The PocketTV Team
09-30-2005, 07:54 PM
I think maybe pocketpcthoughts.com and smartphonethoughts.com could help everyone see clearer by creating (and maintaining) a big table (or database) of all the Pocket PC and Smartphone devices existing and upcoming.

The table or database would include the major characteristics for each device:

- devices name or names and manufacturer (some devices have different names or are variations on the hardware of another devices, e.g. HTC devices)
- OS type (Pocket PC, PPC-phone, Smartphone)
- OS version (2003, 2003SE, WM5)
- Screen size / resolution VGA/QVGA/Other, square, etc
- Processor type and speed
- Video accelerator chip if any (ATI, Intel 2700G)
- Keyboard?
- Camera? (resolution?)
- Storage card supported (SD, CF-I, CF-II/Microdrive)
- Memory (RAM/flash-ROM)
- Wireless type (e.g. GSM)
- Bluetooth?
- Wifi?
- Cell-phone operator? (if locked with a single operator)
- etc...

This would help us trying to navigate the jungle of the WM devices (probably close to 100 different windows mobile devices on the market or coming soon).

Or is such a table already maintained somewhere?

JDTagish
10-01-2005, 04:33 AM
http://www.pocketpcmag.com/bg04/ppcs.asp

Seems to be fairly inclusive, and each issue of the magazine includes most of the current devices out there.

I always look forward to the new issue, cause its the only one dedicated to PPC's.

The PocketTV Team
10-01-2005, 09:49 AM
http://www.pocketpcmag.com/bg04/ppcs.asp

Seems to be fairly inclusive, and each issue of the magazine includes most of the current devices out there.

I always look forward to the new issue, cause its the only one dedicated to PPC's.

Thanks, but this list only shows about 10% of all the Pocket PC's.

The list on the Handango website (sorted by device manufacturers) is much larger, but still very incomplete:

http://www.handango.com/ChangeDevice.jsp?siteId=1&addDevices=true&refine=0&removeCheckTabs=3

And the problem is that the Handango list contains Palms devices together with Windows Mobiles, too, and it does not indicate any of the device's characteristics.

JDTagish
10-01-2005, 10:28 AM
Did you click on the links to include ALL PPC's including those not available in the US and older PPCs?

The other formats, like smartphone and integrated phone and handheld PC are all listed separately with their own links.

I really think this represents much more than 10% of what is available, but I definitely agree, it is not complete by any means.

Can I ask what you want such a list for, or is the desire a community thing so that there can be a "one stop" way of comparing devices, or perhaps a developer thing---easier to find compatibility or something like that?

The PocketTV Team
10-01-2005, 10:40 AM
> Did you click on the links to include ALL PPC's including those not available in the US and older PPCs?

Yes, of course!

> It had PPCs listed going back to 2002 or so, with devices from manufacturers I had not heard of before.

The list on handango is at least 3 times larger than this one, but it is still very incomplete.

Many devices sold in countries other than the US are not listed, and many ruggedized or not-consumer-orented devices are missing from those lists.

> I really think this represents much more than 10% of what is available, much closer to about 90% if not higher. (The "all" list for PPC has 52 devices listed...I can't believe that is only 10%)

Well, the problem is that many devices are "agregated" in this list, and not listed individually, e.g. the hp iPaq series are in fact several different models in each series, not listed in the list, and each model is slighly different from the others in the series. But even if you take that into account, the list is still incomplete.

None of the Symbol devices are listed. Same for the Dolphins. And that's just a few of the brands that are missing.

JDTagish
10-01-2005, 11:09 AM
:oops:

I posted the first message before I did a bit more research, then edited hoping that since it was the middle of the night here in the US that it would be edited before you read it.

I really need an emoticon to show having to eat your words!

My more narrow perspective of the world was showing...I didn't even think about those type of devices and the brands you mentioned I have never heard of, so I guess you can't think of what you don't know.

Oh well...nothing like breakfasting on crow...

I'd be interested in a list of this type...if I can help in compiling something, please let me know.

Ce
10-02-2005, 04:25 PM
http://www.pocketinfo.nl/buyerszone/vergelijk#ne

Menneisyys
10-03-2005, 09:13 AM

Nice one; some remarks though:

- language. I understand Dutch (used to study it); others may not.
- the link doesn't work from Pocket PC web clients without sending out desktop-like User-Agent headers.
- devices like the iPAQ 5150, 3650, 3660, 1930, j565/568, asus a730w, Toshi e830 etc. are all missing.
- the data has errors like listing "Translective LCD" (an additional 'f' would be needed!) for all color iPAQ models - even the reflective iPAQ 36xx/37xx/38xx.

Ce
10-03-2005, 10:53 AM

- the link doesn't work from Pocket PC web clients without sending out desktop-like User-Agent headers.
- devices like the iPAQ 5150, 3650, 3660, 1930, j565/568, asus a730w, Toshi e830 etc. are all missing.
- the data has errors like listing "Translective LCD" (an additional 'f' would be needed!) for all color iPAQ models - even the reflective iPAQ 36xx/37xx/38xx.

I think that language doesn't need to be a problem. Just read the specs of a device and you know what they mean.
I also know that the guys overthere are still working hard on the database and that they are adding "new" devices every week...just keep checking :)

Unfortunately I can't answer your "technical question" about Web clients

Carel

Menneisyys
10-03-2005, 12:50 PM
I think that language doesn't need to be a problem. Just read the specs of a device and you know what they mean.

Well, for example I don't think all newbies for example upon encountering '65535', at once know what "Aantal kleuren" means :) I do know because I understand Dutch and I know the specs of these devices well enough, but anyone not having studied Dutch/newbie to PPC will have problems.

Jonathon Watkins
10-03-2005, 04:54 PM

Yes, that is indeed a good resource. I understand Dutch as well as I used to live there. Pity Pocketinfo don't do an Enlish version of those pages.

Fishie
10-04-2005, 01:28 AM
Veel mensen die Nederlands begrijpen hier, verbaast me wel.

shindullin
10-06-2005, 09:23 PM
I assume that translates into the "large number of people who understand Dutch here actually astonishes me." I don't speak a lick of Dutch. Thank goodness for translation programs on the internet. I think between the translation programs and a little knowledge of the devices themselves, English speakers can still use the site, but that's an awful lot of work just to check out what's out there. Perhaps a nice Dutch Speaker could help us out with a site that translates it all into English?