View Full Version : Explination of USB 1.1 - 2.0 and Activesyncing

PDANEWBIE
09-30-2005, 05:42 PM
I like to transfer large files but I always have a problem.... I really would like to do this without a card reader persay.

Now I see a number of things out there and I need to know if I have this right...

Activesync 4,0 supports USB 2.0 but only supports it if the device in question supports it?

USB host is not necessarily USB host 2.0?

Also does USB host work in conjunction with the syncing process or is this a totally different connector on the PPC?

Where would it tell you it connects at USB 2.0 speed through activesync? I have not seen this on any "spec sheet" I have looked at.

Being totally USB 2.0 will this give a full speed jump when syncing files or are there other parts of the hardware that would still limit the transfer speed and possibly cause the dropoffs I have been getting with USB 1.1?

Just wondering for when WM 5.0 becomes the standard and I get the itch to upgrade i want to have all the facts when comparing devices.

Duncan
09-30-2005, 11:16 PM
Activesync 4,0 supports USB 2.0 but only supports it if the device in question supports it?

Correct.

USB host is not necessarily USB host 2.0?

The PXA27x processor range - as used by most recent Pocket PCs - supports USB host - but only version 1.1 - never 2.0. The Pocket PC needs to be set up to use the USB host feature nad not all are (i.e. a Dell Axim X51v has a PXA27x processor but no USB host)

Also does USB host work in conjunction with the syncing process or is this a totally different connector on the PPC?

USB host and USB client both use the same connector on Pocket PCs that support it. Syncing is via the standard USB client function that all Pocket PCs have - it has nothing to do with USB host.

Where would it tell you it connects at USB 2.0 speed through activesync? I have not seen this on any "spec sheet" I have looked at.

Some spec sheets do tell you whether syncing is via USB 2.0 or 1.1 - some don't. Reviews are a good source of such info as speeds are usually tested.

Being totally USB 2.0 will this give a full speed jump when syncing files or are there other parts of the hardware that would still limit the transfer speed and possibly cause the dropoffs I have been getting with USB 1.1?

There are always bottlenecks - but you should see a much faster transfer speed with USB 2.0.

Menneisyys
10-02-2005, 07:44 PM

With current USB 2.0 Pocket PC devices (for example, the iPAQ hx4700 of the very few USB2 PPC's), the speed difference is 30-40%, compared to other, USB1.1 devices. This means Pocket PC bottlenecks have a very big effect on the (currently) achievable speed.

THere was a Card Export II thread over at Brighthand where I asked some hx4700 users to benchmark their device with the app to find out whether Card Export becomes significantly faster with the USB2 hx4700 (the speed of Card Export II with most Pocket PC's is just a bit lower than the maximal speed of USB1.1). You may want to do a generic search for "Card Export II hx4700" to find whether there're answers / published benchmark results.