View Full Version : ppc runing really slow...

zeltak
09-27-2005, 10:52 PM
hi all

i own a hp rx-3715 and it was runing perfectly for a year until latley it started runing really really slow, crashes and freezes all the time and the situation is really unbearable. i have installed a few programs latley (Wise bar advance,pocket weather etc..) but i havnt heard that they do any harm. also my spb pocket plus 3 has stoped responding and acts strangley. is there any diagnostic program or an antivirus program for the ppc? i cant see why this has happend suddenly:(. ive nevr heard of a ppc virus but maybe this is the case here. if not is there any prog's that check you ppc ? any help would be hugley appriciated!

Zeltak

Patrick Y.
09-27-2005, 11:52 PM
It will be helpful if you can list ALL the program you installed and any modification you made to your Pocket PC before your device started to act crappy. However, I'm sure it is not virus or anything like that. There are only 2 virus available for Pocket PC and you have less than 1/100000000 possibility of getting them. Also, make sure that your available program memory is at least above 8MB otherwise there will be constant system problems. Try checking the background process with PHM taskmanger or iTaskMgr and find the program that takes out the most CPU time and RAM. I also recommend you to do some maintainance with programs like SKTools (clean up cache, registry, etc.)
Hope this helps.

PetiteFlower
09-28-2005, 04:15 AM
The best thing to do in this situation would be to do a hard reset and install your programs one by one, until you find the one causing the problem.

Brad Adrian
09-28-2005, 04:18 AM
Even though a step-wise approach is probably needed to figure out exactly what the culprit is, before you go to the trouble of doing a hard reset, you might first try to UN-install items one at a time, in case that uncovers the cause. Start with things like utilities first.

Steven Cedrone
09-28-2005, 02:33 PM
You may want to try running CheckNotifications (http://www.scarybearsoftware.com/ppc_cn_overview.html) to see if it helps as well...

yankeejeep
09-28-2005, 03:38 PM
I would throw out the suggestion to get a good general maintenance app (I prefer MemMaid) which can do periodic system cleaning for you. You may have built up alot of trash cache and temp files and if you have uninstalled apps, there may very well be orphaned registry entries and files that were not removed in the uninstall process. All of these can slow your device over time and interfere with other apps that you want running.

Menneisyys
09-28-2005, 03:47 PM
In addition to using a generic cleanup utilities (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=360617), you may want to disable all your Today plug-ins one-by-one to see if one of them causes the problem. I strongly suspect Pocket Plus 3 may be the problem...

zeltak
09-28-2005, 11:28 PM
thank you all for the responses! i will try all of the stuff you said and let you know what worked!

Zeltak