View Full Version : What is the best software to sync with LOTUS NOTES?

nicola_tantra
09-27-2005, 06:03 AM
Hello,

I want to get a good sync software for my O2 XDA mini. I am using MS OUTLOOK at home but LOTUS NOTES (version 6.5) at work.

Does anyone has a recommendation on a good sync software, especially with LOTUS NOTES? - as you know syncing with MS OUTLOOK is a more norm thing for majority ... or what not :?:.

Thanx!
Nic

Darius Wey
09-27-2005, 06:15 AM
I'd say mNotes (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=42534) offers the best solution to date.

veethree
09-27-2005, 07:04 AM
I'd say mNotes (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=42534) offers the best solution to date.

I'd second that - I used it for a couple of years without any problems at all.

stevelam
09-28-2005, 05:44 PM

I'd second that - I used it for a couple of years without any problems at all.

Ditto

barrypowers
09-29-2005, 04:24 PM
I have used almost all of the commercially available sync programs and have invariably had problems (duplicated contacts, dropped appointments, etc.) To give you an idea of how long I have wrestled with sync, I have been a PDA user since REX (contacts/calendar) and the HP 660 (contacts/calendar/mail).

One day last year I had the good fortune of being offered a pilot for IBM's Websphere Everyplace Connection Manager (WECM) and Websphere Everyplace Access (WEA). I am one of 500 people using it and my company (over 300,000 people, not allowed to say which) will be rolling it out soon as a supported offering to all employees.

It does everything my corporate, laptop version of Notes does (also ver 6.5) and includes many of the great collaboration features that I have on the laptop (like calendaring, Sametime collaboration, team room databases, etc. - though I dont use the last feature yet due to space on the PDA.

I have used it first on an Ipaq 2215 (wifi sync and Activesync ip passthrough) and now on a Samsung i730 with EVDO -very slick. The only thing I wish it did was push email, though I am not sure if this is really a limitation of how we have deployed WECM and WEA versus the capabilities of the software. I could set it to automatically pull email at defined intervals, but the EVDO and phone connections dont really like each other as much as they should and the battery drain (while already shaky) would be too much of a limitation.

I know WECM and WEA are available on the markeplace today from IBM, but the purchase is a corporate one (it requires that your company deploy it on their Notes servers). Though you can't purchase and use it individually I think it might be good to inquire with your Notes administrators as to whether they have thought of using this in their corporate mail deployments. It really is the best way to sync Notes with your comapny.

PS I have a bit of a bias here, but it may not be for the reason you suspect after reading between the lines in my note :D It's because this thing works; up until last year I used to cut and paste my appointments into Outlook and sync independently of a helper program because of the problems I had above with the commercially available sync programs. I never thought that I would say this as I was a diehard Outlook user for my personal mail and for all of my business prior to joining this company, but I have not used the desktop/laptop Outlook in over 18 months. It is actually nice to only use one mail/calendaring/contact platform - makes life simpler