View Full Version : SMAAD Syndrome

JPD6825
09-24-2005, 05:39 AM
Hereafter to be referred to as SMAADS:

Sudden Middle-Aged Axim Death Syndrome.

OK, Brother-in-law Joe-Bob has a dead Axim X5 and wants advice and / or help in bringing it back from the netherworld.

Symptoms match those too often posted to Axim boards... seems to have left it unattended for too many days and apparently the batteries completely ran out and now it won't turn on at all - even after recharging. No response even to attempts at hard reset. Replaced back-up battery. No Go.

Has anyone EVER heard of an X5 being recovered from a state like this? What the hell could be going on with it - battery discharge would seem to me an event that should be pretty benign!

Maybe it wasn't the battery drain at all; maybe the display has just gone?

When he brings it to me... if I can pull the rabbit out of the hat and bring it back to life... - imagine the look of awe on his face!

Somebody have a hint for me? Or do we just shop for a burial plot?

ADBrown
09-24-2005, 09:11 AM
I assume that you've already tried a hard reset?

PocketPC Addict
09-24-2005, 05:51 PM
Here's what I do if I have a device in this state. I put it on the charger, and leave it there for several hours. Then I come back and try a soft reset + power on. If that's a no-go I try the hard reset route.

I don't think I've had one NOT come back as long as it was connected to a power source.

HTH

Jason Dunn
09-25-2005, 03:31 AM
Pull out the main and backup battery, leave it for a few hours, then plug the battery back in and recharge.