View Full Version : Help!!! X50v won't turn on and other questions

fjs777
09-24-2005, 01:47 AM
Hi, I received my X50v a few days ago and came across a couple of problems today.

1. The power button would not turn on the X50v, had to do a soft reset

2. Creating a new task, I could get to the Notes part to enter notes, anything I typed went on the Title line. Checked my other tasks, and could not see or edit any of the notes on any on the tasks either, had to do a soft reset again.

3. Question with 2003 SE, I'm coming from a 2210 with plain 2003, and experienced notifications not firing for appointments. Anyone know if this has been fixed in the SE version?

Anyone come across these issues before?

Thanks for your help.

Frank

miterb
09-24-2005, 03:41 AM
1. Can't help with the power button. I would only worry about it if it starts happening frequently.
2. The box is for doing a "Quick Setup". You can flesh it out by accessing the newly created task and doing "Edit". Actually, open the task window and then tap Start and Help. This will bring up the help for an open application. Help says that to set up a full Task, select "New" from the main screen instead of entering anything in the "Quick" box. That gives you the full input options.
3. I have no problem with notifications on my X50v

Brad

rediss01
09-27-2005, 12:19 AM
I also came from a 2210 to a X50v about 2 months ago and haven't had a problem with it yet.
- the Tasks seem to work fine, I don't use that part of it very often, but when I have all has been ok
- and my notifications work fine too.

When you've had these issues has a soft reset fixed it or has the problem continued after the soft reset?

fjs777
09-27-2005, 02:43 AM
Actually, did a hard reset, didn't load any programs other than picture viewer, tcpmp, ms reader and my notifications have been firing for the last couple of days. I hope that resolves that. I haven't identified which program might be causing the misfiring.

Another poster in one the forums also suggested that his 'notes' issues on tasks and appointments disappeared when he turned off the switcher bar. I did that also, and haven't had an issue with seeing or inputting notes in tasks or appointments. Now I just have find another 'free' task switcher.
I used to use ICBAR with my 2210 but it didn't work well with the X50v.

The soft reset usually fixed the notes issue, since the switcher bar did not automatically turn on, but I would turn it on, and later in the day, the notes issue appeared again, so another soft reset; however, since I've turned it off for good now, hopefully, that issue doesn't reappear.

The soft reset did not usually fix the notification misfiring issue. I usually had to toggel the time between AM and PM to then get my notifications to work again.

Haven't experienced any problems with the power button either since that one time.

Hopefully, everything keeps working now, otherwise, looking forward to WM2005, it couldn't be worst...

PetiteFlower
09-27-2005, 04:32 AM
I couldn't get mine to turn on once but I figured out it's because the lock switch got accidentally turned on. But a soft reset wouldn't fix that :)

cml
09-27-2005, 01:03 PM
PetiteFlower, I'm glad I'm not the only one that happened to. It took me about twenty minutes of panic to remember the lock key was there (I never intentionaly use the lock).[/quote]

fjs777
09-28-2005, 01:39 AM
Once more, my power button wouldn't turn it on...held it down, touched the screen, pushed all the other buttons, turned it upside down, etc. and still nothing.

Had to do a soft reset.

Called Dell tech support and they said that others have called about that before, and that's what the soft reset is for...funny, I didn't experience that on my 2210, nor my wife's 1910.

Anyway, they said it was due to programs not shutting down completely and sometimes it interferes with the power down and startup...

Anyone experienced this before...is it normal for Dells? if so, I won't worry about it.

Anyway, I also complained about a slight hiss through the headphones (that I also experienced on my 2210), which I never noticed before until I got some new 'plug' type headphones...so Dell's shipping me a new X50v.

Tech support was actually very nice, they put me back to Customer Care, where I would get a new unit, verses a refurbished one if thru tech support.

Thanks,

PetiteFlower
09-28-2005, 04:27 AM
No I don't think it's normal. I've never had this problem. My guess would be one of your installed programs might be causing a problem. If you don't already, get a program like Pocket Plus to make sure your programs actually shut down when you close them and see if that helps. If not, you'll have to do the "hard reset and slow rebuild" thing to try to figure out what program it was.

Chris Spera
10-01-2005, 07:48 PM
Anyone experienced this before...is it normal for Dells? if so, I won't worry about it.

Anyway, I also complained about a slight hiss through the headphones (that I also experienced on my 2210), which I never noticed before until I got some new 'plug' type headphones...so Dell's shipping me a new X50v.

Tech support was actually very nice, they put me back to Customer Care, where I would get a new unit, verses a refurbished one if thru tech support.

Thanks,

This happens to me now and again. Tech Support is right, that's one of the reasons a soft reset is for. Its nothing more than a reboot of the device, much like restarting your computer. Its not a big deal. I wouldn't worry about it. They diagnosed the problem correctly. Some 3rd party app is probably causing a hiccough somewhere.

Also, I would head on over to Scary Bear Software and pick up their Check Notification utilities (there are 2) One runs at device startup. One runs when you run it. Your Notifications Database can get clogged with crap in WM2003 (and 2003SE). These apps uncrap it. The Notifications Database is what fires off all of your reminders and such.

Hope this helps!

Crispy
01-10-2006, 09:00 PM
With the exception of the upgrade to WM5 and the installation of Tweaks2K2, my X50 is straight out of the box, and it hardly every turns on when I push the button. Soft reboots are neccessary most of the time.

I have looked everywhere for a solution to this problem and can't seem to find one that works. It is highly ANNOYING to have to do a soft reboot when you are on the phone and need to look up a contact or whatever.

If anyone has discovered a way to fix this, will you please reply?

Thanks!

Darius Wey
01-11-2006, 04:55 AM
If anyone has discovered a way to fix this, will you please reply?

A few people seem to be experiencing said issues, and the only real workaround is to wait for Dell to release a WM5 ROM update or to downgrade temporarily to WM2003SE.

You could try running the X50 without a memory card (if you aren't already). That works wonders sometimes. Of course, it's a painful fix for a painful problem. :(