View Full Version : jvm problem

HerdplattenToni
09-23-2005, 08:00 AM
Hello
I already postet this on an other forum and hope I don't bore to many people with my problems.
I need to get a java applet to work with my PocketLoox 720. The applet is compiled for jdk 1.1.6 conformance, so I thought it wouldn't be that big a problem with all newer jvm's.
However I tried crEme 3.2.x and crEme 4.x and both failed with an "Error in Init". I haven't found evaluation versions of jeode and the jvm that comes with NetFront and didn't try J9 since it seems to be a bit a pain to install that.
Has anyone got any idea what the problem might be? nanoXML shouldn't be a problem I think?

I import the following (if someone is interested in trying to make the applet run on his PPC I'll send it to him):

import java.applet.Applet;
import java.applet.AppletContext;
import java.awt.*;
import java.awt.event.*;
import java.io.*;
import java.net.*;
import java.util.Enumeration;
import nanoxml.XMLElement;

import java.applet.Applet;
import java.awt.*;
import java.io.PrintStream;

import java.awt.Component;

Thx in advance

Menneisyys
09-23-2005, 09:24 AM
didn't try J9 since it seems to be a bit a pain to install that.

J9 doesn't have a PIE plug-in so you haven't lost much.

nanoXML shouldn't be a problem I think?

I don't think so. You may upload the applet to somewhere so that I can check it in Thunderhawk/NetFront/PIE plug-ins.

HerdplattenToni
09-24-2005, 09:36 AM
It wasn't as easy as I thought, since the applet is part of a much bigger project but I cannot give access to the server on which the applet is running since my employer wouldn't like that...
the version linked below works on my desktop with appletviewer but I cannot open it with a browser because of missing reading permissions of the xml file. As far as I know NetFront has an appletviewer, I don't know about Thunderhawk, I would be glad if you could test it :)

btw.: how do you get an applet started in crEme console if its in the "my documents" folder?
I tried some combination of -av My Documents\Applet\StatusAccess.html with and without quotes but couldn't make it find the file.

http://n.ethz.ch/student/massonp/download/Applet.zip

thx for your help

HerdplattenToni

Menneisyys
09-24-2005, 09:44 AM
OK, will scrutinize it in a few days - hopefully on Monday.

HerdplattenToni
09-26-2005, 07:48 AM
crEme seems to have problems because nanoxml which is used is in a .jar file... at least thats what I conclude from the message:
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: nanoxml/XMLElement

I'll have a try with an unzipped (or unjared) Version of Nanoxml and report if it works.

*update*: unjaring nanoxml solved the "Error in Init" problem but now I get an IOException: StatusAccess.xml
I guess the applet has no read permission of this file... I'll have to test if that problem occurs also when the applet is on the tomcat server, I hope not.

Anyway I'd really love to know if the applet works on NetFront/Thunderhawk just let me know when you had time to test it :)

Menneisyys
09-26-2005, 07:50 AM
crEme seems to have problems because nanoxml which is used is in a .jar file... at least thats what I conclude from the message:
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: nanoxml/XMLElement

I'll have a try with an unzipped (or unjared) Version of Nanoxml and report if it works.

OK, you may also want to re-jar everything (every external JAR files) into the applet JAR file.