View Full Version : Simple wireless ad hoc network with XP and PPC?

Thox
09-22-2005, 01:18 PM
I've recently bought my first piece of wifi kit - a palmtop. Now I'd like to create a simple connection between my Windows XP machine and my Pocket PC (2003SE).

I've read in a couple of places about articles for bridging an "ad hoc" wireless network without an access point, and also seen one mention of a user doing this with a pocket pc back in 2002. I'm very interested in doing the same, as it would be far more suitable to my needs than setting up an entire wireless network in my house.

My plan is to buy a single wifi USB dongle and hopefully I don't need any more hardware.

Does anyone have experience of this? Any tips or links to more information?

gwinter
09-22-2005, 04:12 PM
If cost is not too much of a concern, it would be better getting an access point and using infrastructure mode. It really isn't very complex to get an access point up and running.

In any case, you should turn on encryption, so that others would not be able to log onto your network and look at the data on the network.
If you are using adhoc solution, you are limited to WEP to secure the network. While theoretically it is easily compromised, it is enough to stop people who otherwise might casually take a peek at your data.
If you're using access point, especially the newer ones, you have more options such as WPA which are more secure.

Hrun
09-23-2005, 11:24 PM
I have never managed to get an ADhoc connection working between my desktop and ppc. I have an adhoc connection with my desktop and the better halfs laptop which I am using to post this.

With my ppc I can occasionally get a connected signal but no useable connection.

I do use a bluetooth connection loads though, and this is very reliable and cheap.

If you manage an adhoc link which works could you post your settings as I would like to achieve it.

Cheers

Giles

Cybrid
09-25-2005, 10:30 AM
I've recently bought my first piece of wifi kit - a palmtop. Now I'd like to create a simple connection between my Windows XP machine and my Pocket PC (2003SE).

I've read in a couple of places about articles for bridging an "ad hoc" wireless network without an access point, and also seen one mention of a user doing this with a pocket pc back in 2002. I'm very interested in doing the same, as it would be far more suitable to my needs than setting up an entire wireless network in my house.

My plan is to buy a single wifi USB dongle and hopefully I don't need any more hardware.

Does anyone have experience of this? Any tips or links to more information?
Do some research into bridging networks with an XP machine.

Your XP machine can then act as a router. This does require a USB dongle capable of promiscous mode.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/plan/xpbrdgnt.mspx

http://www.homenethelp.com/web/howto/windows-xp-bridge-setup.asp

Best of both worlds.