View Full Version : Community

Stephen Beesley
09-22-2005, 06:28 AM
As some might be aware, I have recently had a pretty bad ebay experience which left me out of pocket both in cash terms and in being without a Pocket PC for the first time in many years. I was very grateful for all of the kind words and thoughts expressed by may posters in my Thread on the subject.

My temporary lack of a Pocket PC came to an end about a month ago when I found myself eagerly awaiting the arrival of a package. What was in the package you ask: some hot new vga device with mhz to spare and everything you could possibly want built in. No. The package I was so eagerly waiting for contained a Casio e-200 running Pocket PC 2002, but I could not have been happier if it had been the Axim x50v of my dreams.

The reason for my excitement and happiness was that this Casio was coming to me courtesy of another Pocket PC Thoughts reader (acecafe) who, when reading of my predicament, offered me the Casio for the cost of shipping. That was not the end of acecafe’s generosity. Along with the Casio itself came a host of accessories. What can I say except that I was truly blown away.

So for the last month I have been getting to know the Casio and I have to say that it is a damn fine machine. It may not be most modern Pocket PC about by a long shot but do you know what, it still does just about everything that you can with a current model. Okay so you might need to plug in a wifi card, rather than having wifi built in, and the 206mhz processor is not as zippy as even the 400mhz one I was used to on my Toshiba e755, but it is still surprisingly quick at most things.

I have been a member of the Pocket PC Thoughts community for a number o years now and have always liked the sense of community. As a long time Newton user, one of the first things I was looking for when I shifted to a Pocket PC was the type of community I had enjoyed in the Newton world (a community that is, I must say, still alive and well, many years after the Newton was cancelled by Apple) and, for me, Pocket PC Thoughts has been the answer. The generosity of spirit shown by the many who responded to my thread about my ebay experience, and the very practical generosity shown by acecafe has been a truly wonderful thing!

Yes I still intend to get myself an Axim (an x51v now I guess), but until I do I know that the Casio will get me through most things and for that – and to acecafe – I am very very grateful.

Jason Dunn
09-22-2005, 06:42 AM
Wow. Great story! Nicely done acecafe! :D I've given acecafe a one-year subscription as my way of saying thanks.

Stephen Beesley
09-22-2005, 06:46 AM
Wow. Great story! Nicely done acecafe! :D I've given acecafe a one-year subscription as my way of saying thanks.

Jason- for my part, thank you for YOUR generousity. I hope acecafe enjoys the subscription as much as I am enjoying the Casio :D

Darius Wey
09-22-2005, 09:19 AM
Nice story, Stephen. Good to hear things have picked up since we last met.

And to acecafe, your generosity is unparalled. Kudos!

Stephen Beesley
09-22-2005, 09:46 AM
Nice story, Stephen. Good to hear things have picked up since we last met.

And to acecafe, your generosity is unparalled. Kudos!

Indeed they have :D

In fact I finally got my ebay claim refund for some of the amount of I was ripped off and am now looking forward to getting myself an Axim in the near future. Hopefully Dell Oz might continue their past practice with the x50v of having them at 20% off every month or so.

I have just been so lucky that acecafe'e generosity has meant that I have been able to keep my gadget addiction fed!

Actually, given just how impressive the e-200 must have been for its time I really wish Casio still made Windows Mobile devices.

Darius Wey
09-22-2005, 09:54 AM
...I really wish Casio still made Windows Mobile devices.

They still do, though they're largely focused on industrial devices now. The IT-10 (http://www.casio.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=products.detail&catalog=Personal%20PCs&section=Industrial%20Devices&product=IT%2D10M20) is an example, and it even includes VGA. :)

acecafe
09-28-2005, 07:36 AM
I'm glad the Casio is getting you through this difficult period. Jason, thank you for your generosity. :D

Stephen Beesley
09-28-2005, 08:44 AM
I'm glad the Casio is getting you through this difficult period. Jason, thank you for your generosity. :D

No...

Thank you! :clap:

stevelam
09-28-2005, 04:34 PM

No...

Thank you! :clap:

It almost brings a tear to your eye knowing tthat there are still nice people our there that will do such nice things. Nice one acecafe :werenotworthy:

cassidy0423
10-11-2005, 07:26 PM
Stephen - just wanted to say congratulations on your Cassio. I don't know if you have purchased your Axim yet but if you join "audible.com" for a year, they have a $100.00 discount at Dell for the Axim X51v. :wink:
stephanie

Stephen Beesley
10-12-2005, 02:40 AM
Stephen - just wanted to say congratulations on your Cassio. I don't know if you have purchased your Axim yet but if you join "audible.com" for a year, they have a $100.00 discount at Dell for the Axim X51v. :wink:
stephanie

Thanks for the heads up, but as it turns out I am so interested in the new Loox VGA devices that are due out soon that I have decided to hold off for a little while to see what happens.