View Full Version : The PDA is Dead? Don't Think So!

Jonathon Watkins
09-21-2005, 09:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.bargainpda.com/default.asp?newsID=2665' target='_blank'>http://www.bargainpda.com/default.asp?newsID=2665</a><br /><br /></div><i>"The handheld computer market is dead. Sales of traditional PDAs are tanking, the market is shrinking, and smartphones are the wave of the future. Well, not quite. If you follow the news of the handheld computing world at all, you've probably heard this before. . . There's no question that the number of connected devices is on the rise . . . But what I would like to know is where this idea that smartphones are the be-all and end-all of technology originated. Because whoever came up with it first, that person needs to be smacked."</i><br /><br />Adama Brown has written a thought provoking article debunking the 'death' of the PDA, which is something we hear thoughtlessly repeated depressingly frequently. A jack-of-all-trades device should be able to be computer and a phone and that involves tradeoffs. I think the key word for the article is 'compromise' and that's something that many folks don't seem to want to accept. You really should read the article, if only for Adama's vivid imagery. ;-)<br /><br /><i>"Vast numbers of "converged" devices . . . have died on the vine, either because no carriers wanted them, or because the manufacturer couldn't handle the technological equivalent of threading a needle in an open convertible while doing 120 miles per hour through a snowstorm somewhere in the Swiss Alps."</i>

Busdriver
09-21-2005, 09:21 PM
www.pocketmod.com

Raphael Salgado
09-21-2005, 09:53 PM
I vote for Pocket PC Thoughts writing an article called, 'The 'PDA is dead' Article is dead.' How about that?!? :roll:

Gerard
09-21-2005, 11:15 PM
Quick, someone get JackAubrey over here to de-bunk the de-bunking article! He'll no doubt be happy to tell us all how blinkered we are to the 'facts', that the PDA is in fact already dead.

Jonathon Watkins
09-21-2005, 11:43 PM
I vote for Pocket PC Thoughts writing an article called, 'The 'PDA is dead' Article is dead.' How about that?!? :roll:

Sounds like a great idea. Are you volunteering? ;-)

kaitanium
09-21-2005, 11:43 PM
maybe he ran outta things to write about

Brad Adrian
09-22-2005, 03:48 PM
I think one thing that continues to spark comments about the death of PDAs is data indicating that the number of devices being sold is declining. It's true that the market is much more "saturated" than it was four years ago, but that doesn't mean the market is dead!

Converged devices, though, have been carving a nice niche for themselves. But, they still represent an incredibly small slice of the total mobile phone market.